Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
"This Forum is Dying" #648712 07/14/20 01:15 AM
Biggerfoot Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
For those that are here from the old MacCentral Forums, hopefully, you will recall this on-going "discussion."

I believe this is the last of the old forums with roots back into the 1990s (members from MacMinute <-MacCentral).

For those of us that do not participate in FaceBook, this forum will be missed but it is understandable that it is time for it to close.

Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: Biggerfoot] #648714 07/15/20 05:58 AM
lanovami Offline
This space for rent
This space for rent
Well, I clicked here on a whim, cuz it is still in my bookmarks. Just in time, too it seems. Glad I was in time, and didn't just get a dead link.
As Douglas Adams would say "So long (everybody) and thanks for all the fish!

We are what we repeatedly do - Aristotle
Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: Biggerfoot] #648715 07/15/20 10:07 PM
AusMac Offline
I suppose it is time to say goodbye?

“His throw went absolutely nowhere near where it was going.” ~ Richie Benaud.
Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: Biggerfoot] #648716 07/15/20 11:20 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
You do know you can get a Facebook account, and just use it for the old MCF gang. You can block everything else out.

Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: AusMac] #648717 07/15/20 11:22 PM
I invented modding!
I invented modding!

"Ah, well, (said McWatt) What the Hell?"
-Catch 22

I did the best I could to keep the lights on
the best I could do was keep posting music & jokes
but I couldn't do it on my own......the place was already
emptying out while I was still exiled over in MacCentral Cafe

____

[Linked Image from animatedimages.org]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: Reboot] #648719 07/15/20 11:52 PM
Biggerfoot Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Originally Posted by Reboot
You do know you can get a Facebook account, and just use it for the old MCF gang. You can block everything else out.

I rather sit out Social Media...time is an issue too...we do have a work FB account but do not use it to visit non-work FB pages (setting a good example as a boss?).

I was trying to find old MacCentral posts with the "This Forum is Dying" threads on the Way Back Machine but was not having much luck.

Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: John Rougeux] #648722 07/16/20 02:03 AM
I invented modding!
I invented modding!

"...in a rolling donut."
[Linked Image from images.gr-assets.com]

____

Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: John Rougeux] #648723 07/16/20 11:56 AM
Biggerfoot Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Originally Posted by John Rougeux
There's always Macrumors forums.

But if anyone wants to contact me, let me know. Of course, I know Cel will be the one who misses me most. laugh

MacRumors has been helpful in keeping my old 5.1 Mac Pro going with 10.15 (Mac Pro 2010: 2x 3.46 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon / 64 GB) and when I updated to my MacBook Pro 16". However, as Reboot mentioned in his other post, many people here have known each other for over twenty years and some have met in person (remember the MC Mosaic)? I traveled up to Grand Rapids to see Sean sign the copy: [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Over the years, in addition to new unboxings and repair help, many of us have shared personal triumphs and sadness due to our comfort level. MacRumors just does not have that "at home" feeling.

Last edited by Biggerfoot; 07/16/20 12:02 PM.
Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: Biggerfoot] #648724 07/16/20 03:42 PM
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
I was always The Outsider here ...and you never even knew my name:
"Celandine" is a native Poppy that grows here in our Eastern Forests
...btw, the name is Jac. short for Jac.queline. smile

TagLine "SopranoLand"
Look on a map... I was living where the series was filmed WHILE it was still being filmed in the streets of Harrison, Kearny, & North Arlington, NJ
(The scene where Chistopher shoots the bakery clerk in the foot was where my mom bought pastries.. my friends owned PIZZALAND )
Only mention it by way of saying, I lived across the 'Jersey Meadowlands from The World Trade Center that I watched smoking for 6 months...
Only mention that because on the morning of 9-11 I was a Forum Chief in MacWorld Forums, helping some kid (MacMan) with his homework
while waiting for my mom's doctor to deliver the bad news about her cancer, when the plane hit the second tower, and my late husband called
telling me to "GRAB THE KITTIES! WE JUST WENT TO WAR!!!"
"WORLD TRADE CENTER ?!?"
Only mention that because since I was on a live connection when the Radio Tower on top of Tower 1 came down, I was one of the only folks
with the ability to listen to local reports AND Forward the news to hundreds of members worldwide moment to moment for about a week...
...while the jet went down in PA. and the jet skidded into the Pentagon etc Afraid to put my mac to sleep/drop my connection during this high drama.
Checkout the MacWorld Location Line; Exit 149... it's a 'Jersey Joke.. locate it on a map. wink

I became the conduit though which the news flowed... into my earphones and out through my fingertips keeping my panicing sub-forum together
until they re-established some sort of normal communications.

Another 20 page thread...
Only mention that because that's where the fights began...and ended... with the bully who would be king caused the entire sub-forum to be closed
About 50 members followed me as we went from forum to forum with the same bully hot on our heels, with him posting such obscene rants
that forum after forum had to be closed down & hosed out...

The members even started their own forums and set me up sometime as Administrator, sometimes Head Moderator... yet again the harassment
continued.
Until the day we arrived @ MacFora where a single question ("Has she arrived yet?") brought a member asking "Did someone say 'SHE'?" smile

Anyway, the Wise Old Man of the Forum (The Apple Doctor) was smart enough to fend off the bully and send him packing for good.

I made MacFora my home, while the rest of my traumatized crew just kept running...never to be seen again. frown

Only mentioned that because years later MacFora was killed by a single member manipulating fellow forumites into drawing up sides and battling.
(nup, tweren't nuthin' to do with me... I'd already been lead off to another friendlier forum... by the time I came back MacFora was no more)

Only mention that because that's how I got invited here in 2004... yeah... already had quite enough of bullies, & quasi-queens to last a lifetime!

You can take it from there... I just wanted to be left in peace... begging mMod1 to "PLEASE stop the manipulating & bullying that was causing
people to be bullied off the forum for things as stupid as a missspelling! (FerCrySake!) but it was allowed to go on (& on & on & on)
until on one medicated moment (Prednisone Psychosis ((google it)) ) During which I FINALLY Unloaded the pent-up disgust in ONE SINGLE POST
Summing up all the BS One member had been posting non-stop for YEARS. All I did was wad up all his BS and through it back in his face, all because
I needed a abdominal Cat-Scan which saved my life, because I'm fataly alegic to Cat-Scan Contrast Dye. So I got banned from here, and stranded in
MacCentral CAFE for a few YEARS, as mMod1 (RedNeckJohn) was allowed to visit and harass me whenever he got bored with MacMinute...

So... YES, JOHN... "Cel WON'T Be Missing YOU" ...so I was left with literally a bleeding wound to literally heal myself from an open wound
following the same cancer surgery my mother had had that morning in 9-11 ... because JOHN "Called B__S___" about my cancer

(John 20:24–29)
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com] <-KLICK
...just to prove (AGAIN) that's Really "ME"

Oh... and tell Doggy Breath
The Butterfly Thing is because Me n' Me Mates Rescue & Release Endangered Monarchs

So when she WHINES about "Losing A Forum"...? ...She (as usual) HAS NO IDEA!!!!!!!

NONE!

o, btw,
I belong to at least 20 other forums
but I'm no longer footloose, my former traumas
cause me to tend toward putting down roots & making a home
It's a pity that Doggy Breath reckoned if she couldn't have a forum, no one could.

____

Re: "This Forum is Dying" [Re: John Rougeux] #648729 07/16/20 11:31 PM
Biggerfoot Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Are there updates for any of the other members from long ago? Yoyo52, Steveg, Carp, MacGizmo, etc? I know a couple have unfortunately passed away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Moderator, neil, Reboot