Software update CRISIS #642081 10/30/16 03:24 PM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Reboot (or any genius
HELP, I just tried to install the latest update for current version of Mac Os (bug fixes?). Mac Mini 202 version.
This was on THURSDAY this week. The update required a reboot as usual. the scroll bar came on screen and was showing progress so i left the computer to do other things intending to come back later. When I got back LATE in the day trhe was an error message saying I need to reboot, did so. Since this was late at night I went to bed.
I did not get around to checking the computer until yesterday pm and then saw the Scroll bar showing the progress at about 92-95 % and the apple logo but nothing else.
When I got up this morning it was exactly the same. Obviously something is not working. How do I get this rebooted so I can go back to PRIOR to the sw update and recover my backup?

I have NOT tried to do anything without some expert advise. Can't afford to lose my backups

choker

Re: Software update CRISIS [Re: choker] #642086 10/30/16 10:11 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Boot up and hold down Command-R.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/24/how-to-start-mac-recovery-mode/

Run Disk Utility first from there to check for drive errors. Might as well Repair Permissions too. After that quit Disk Utility and it will take you back to the 4 choices window.

One of the choices will be to Reinstall OS X, you can reinstall without losing any data, it will just reinstall the OS. Since you did an Upgrade I don't know if it will reinstall Sierra, or what you had on it before. BTW it will take a while as it will need to re-download the installer.

If you have a Time Machine backup you can choose to Restore from it to get you get you back to where you were before the Upgrade. It will take a while also as it has to rebuild the drive.

Quote:
Can't afford to lose my backups

That part I don't understand though. If you're talking about what's on the HD now that isn't a backup, that's the original source data. If you're talking a Time Machine Backup you won't lose that, that's a separate drive.

Good luck, I'll keep an eye out here.

Moderated by  Acumowchek