Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Blu-ray vs streaming #641633 09/30/16 03:37 PM
MrB Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
I haven't had a blu-ray player for several years or even a DVD player. Relying on streaming from Apple or watching from OnDemand from Cox Cable.

Just recently I've begun updating my AV system, again. My center speaker went out which started it, so I replaced that. Then decided to get a new receiver, Onkyo tx-rz800 is coming today. Been using a Denon AV-x1100w but the display went out (common failure, sigh).

In this mess, last week using my Denon with new center speaker, I was able to watch Saving Private Ryan, both with Cox OnDemand and from Apple. The sound was so much better from my cable than from streaming from Apple. The sequence at the beginning coming to shore was definitely better sound.

In further research found that Blu-Ray was still better. So my question for you my most well informed friends, do you use Blu-Ray or do you streamed movies. Do you have Dolby Digital 5.1 , 7.1 or Dolby Atmos in your home theater? Is this better than streaming.

Dave

If we don't count our blessings
We are just wasting our time
Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: MrB] #641642 10/01/16 01:59 PM
six_of_one Offline
Pool Bar
Pool Bar
My not-an-audio-/-videophile opinion:

If there's a movie I really want to see in its full glory, Blu-Ray is the way to go for me right now. Streaming can get you the 5.1/7.1 audio (haven't heard Atmos yet), but I think the bandwidth and economics of the streaming services wont allow for a full-resolution Blu-Ray signal yet ...

For casual viewing, I'll definitely do streaming (it avoids the exhausting 15-foot trudge to put in a disc ;-) and maybe surf a bit. But pop-in a reference-quality Blu-Ray (here's a list of some current ones) and you'll definitely see a difference ...

Also, it's not just the newer films that can look great: Two of the most stunning ones I've seen are the Blu-Ray versions of Forbidden Planet and Metropolis. The article I linked also mentions Lawrence of Arabia, which I'll have to check-out =)

Also some things to keep in mind about discs vs. streaming:

- Discs often have extras / more, better extras than streaming ...

- You don't need an internet connection to watch them ...

Anyways, my relatively uninformed .02 ;-)

Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: MrB] #641646 10/01/16 04:27 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Don't know if any of this will help you with anything on the Apple TV.

Tweak the Apple TV.

Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: six_of_one] #641651 10/01/16 11:51 PM
MrB Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Thanks. I thought as much but wanted to get someone's' S opinion that I knew

Thanks a bunch

Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: Reboot] #641652 10/01/16 11:52 PM
MrB Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Thanks. I had discovered this this summer when I wanted a way to keep closed captions on

Dave~

Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: MrB] #641656 10/02/16 04:51 AM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
OK.. so it's all about bit rate. A Blu Ray will always give you 4-6 times more data than cable.
I have some 450-ish channels coming to my house. All of them. All the time. To most everyones house. Cable companies have to compress it. You can see it if you are close enough. Easily.
This is why cable companies love for you to watch On Demand. Ever notice how it takes a few seconds to switch to OD and then back? It's dropping those hundreds of channels and feeding you the one you asked for. For a couple of hours they aren't piping all those channels to you. They lurv that.
This is why U-Verse bought DirecTV. it's to offload the data off their cable/phone/fiber lines. (also to make it so you can stream to any device/mobile from satellite, but that's a ways down the road).

If yoyo have a newer tv that is 4k.. or even if you don't (you'll end up with one) ... and your tv is 50" or more... than at some point you may even want to try out a 4K movie.
Blu-Ray is HD
4K is UHD.
4k players are Blu Ray players but also play 4k (which is on a BluRay, but different type).
They are still pricey but one day....
Anyways.. 4K is overkill for most people.

Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: NucleusG4] #641657 10/02/16 05:11 AM
MrB Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Thanks.

I've got a 4 year old 60" Samsung. Got one of the few non-smart LEDs back in 2012. I have Apple TV so didn't want/need my tv to also do the same stuff. I've been into 5.1 then 7.1 surround sound for 25 plus years. To me my 1080p tv looks fine but the enhanced sound gives so much more depth to a mind i.e.

I live in a rural area so no Blau-ray rental. What service gives good Blau-ray rental by mail, if any now a days. My next tv might well be UHD but that's down the road. I'm thinking right now as who knows when my healt might go south again. That's the reason I''m updating my sound. Dolby Atmus or DTS: X might even be considered . I have the receiver in a box beside me now.

Dave

Re: Blu-ray vs streaming [Re: MrB] #641658 10/02/16 05:58 AM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
I have found some excellent concerts on Blu ray. Those are worth buying and watching may times.
Don't know about rentals.

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Moderator, neil, Reboot