Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
School will come to you #641347 09/15/16 11:15 AM
NucleusG4 Offline OP
Master•Blaster
OP Offline
Master•Blaster
Steve Jobs' widow is giving two L.A. teachers $10 million to start a school for homeless and foster youth

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-xq-winner-jobs-rise-20160912-snap-story.html

Re: School will come to you [Re: NucleusG4] #641348 09/15/16 12:43 PM
NucleusG4 Offline OP
Master•Blaster
OP Offline
Master•Blaster
I posted this on FB this morning and Sean Lancaster posted a response:

1 of the 10 winning schools is a few blocks from my house. The principal was a tenured faculty member in my department a year ago. He quit because he had a great vision and wanted to make a difference. He applied for the 10 million dollars and won. I am happy for him and the kids who will benefit in the urban district.

Re: School will come to you [Re: NucleusG4] #641351 09/15/16 01:38 PM
MrB Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
I like it. Like it a lot. Though the article doesn't say much how the "school" will work.

I have thought for years, say, the '70's, that the curriculum was stilted. We were teaching units of "stuff" that just didn't need the enormous amount of effort and time were were devoting to it. I thought that many subjects were being taught, not that students needed it but that the teachers just wanted to teach it.

Another thing I thought needed adjustment was the "social" aspect of high school especially. Too much of a social structure surrounding high school. Students who drop out or temporarily vacAte school, can not easily come back in because they don't fit the social structure. A 19 year old coming back in to the system to be a sophomore just doesn't work well socially.

Then, again, I have experienced several workers in the community who could not read cursive and had to get someone else to read it just to do their job.

Dave

If we don't count our blessings
We are just wasting our time
Re: School will come to you [Re: MrB] #641352 09/15/16 01:50 PM
MrB Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
Back in the late 70's our math department created a special class called math lab. There were three of us who designed it, the units were designed to to include the math skills people needed to use to function in life at the time. This was before computers. Students worked on a unit until the mastered it then they received credit then moved on from there.

Had some students who took parts of two years to finishe. Also had one student who completed the course in three weeks. Lots of one on one instruction.

I was phased out because the counselor and guidance bookkeepers couldn't fit in how a student could get an one eighth credit. Could fit a square in his hole.

It was a great course. Of course I say that because It was the brainchild of mine. I was one of two who first come up with it. Another gal was hired to help and was then given a teaching job because of it. Shucks we even had our own clerk who handled our duties.

Dave

If we don't count our blessings
We are just wasting our time
Re: School will come to you [Re: MrB] #641355 09/15/16 02:07 PM
DLC Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
I'm appalled at their lack of knowledge of HISTORY !!

I asked my classes "Who was Czar Nicholas?" the other day. in 2 classes, ONE person knew, in the other 2 NO ONE knew !! crazy WTF?? FYI- We were discussing DNA fingerprinting and mitochondrial DNA.

I didn't ask when Queen Victoria ruled or something complex! AND it wasn't the first time !

VERY sad !! VERY sad !! frown

Re: School will come to you [Re: MrB] #641373 09/16/16 04:33 PM
Nana Offline
I mod in my sleep!
I mod in my sleep!
Quote:
Then, again, I have experienced several workers in the community who could not read cursive and had to get someone else to read it just to do their job.

Not sure when this started but, schools do not teach cursive writing any longer. My 17 yr old nerdy GS cannot write cursive. He can read it though because he loves to read.

The schools at least in Joisey have not taught geography for eons. Ask a high schooler which countries use to be called USSR, Persia or Siam and/or where they are?

Re: School will come to you [Re: DLC] #641374 09/16/16 04:42 PM
Nana Offline
I mod in my sleep!
I mod in my sleep!
Originally Posted By: DLC

Yes it is appalling. Ask your students what is Hieroglyphics? laugh

Re: School will come to you [Re: Nana] #641377 09/16/16 08:15 PM
Celandine Offline
Madame Flutterbye
Madame Flutterbye
Originally Posted By: Nana
Quote:

Not sure when this started but, schools do not teach cursive writing any longer. My 17 yr old nerdy GS cannot write cursive. He can read it though because he loves to read.

The schools at least in Joisey have not taught geography for eons. Ask a high schooler which countries use to be called USSR, Persia or Siam and/or where they are?

they no longer teach Penmanship either.

My younger brother & Ted as well, not only
print, but print like a 3rd grader.
mixed upper & lower case & BARELY legible.

both are otherwise, very intelligent people
just weird that write like they're barely literate.

(both are 6 years my junior, & from totally
different towns and school systems)

edit:
the Dress-Code had also deteriorated between
when I went to the same schools 6 yrs earlier

God only knows what school is like NOW eek
doano when attitude's went south..but teaching
now-a-days days must be 1 hellova challenge

Last edited by Celandine; 09/16/16 08:23 PM.

____

Re: School will come to you [Re: Nana] #641381 09/16/16 11:59 PM
DLC Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
Originally Posted By: Nana
Originally Posted By: DLC

Yes it is appalling. Ask your students what is Hieroglyphics? laugh

Isn't that what they wrote The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich in ? wink
Oh wait . . .that was heiloglyphics !! whistle

Re: School will come to you [Re: DLC] #641386 09/17/16 12:47 AM
Celandine Offline
Madame Flutterbye
Madame Flutterbye

sig heiloglyphics???

((go find a corner..
...and stand in it))

____

Page 1 of 2 1 2