Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rebuilding a 2008 iMac #639448 05/31/16 02:02 PM
Gerry Offline OP
OP Offline
I've got a 2008-era 24" screen iMac running OSX 10.9.5 for my main work machine. I like it a lot but it needs work, so I would like to ask some advice before I start.
There are two issues: the screen is going, and the machine itself has gotten increasingly sluggish over the last few months. I want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch, and I wanted to see what if anything I should be wary of.
My software is principally Adobe CS4, MS Office (as well as a few other things) but my main concern is reinstalling Adobe. I've got the installers still, and my Adobe password but I just know there will be surprises!
I've also been looking at a screen replacement how-to over on iFixit. It seems doable to me but I think I will work on the hard drive first.
As far as upgrading to a new machine, I've looked at the new "thin" iMacs and find that they no longer have audio inputs OR a disk drive, two things which I use all the time, so upgrading becomes a problem. I like my current machine and I believe it's got a few more years left in it.
Any questions, or anything I can clarify, please let me know!

Re: Rebuilding a 2008 iMac [Re: Gerry] #639463 06/01/16 03:39 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
As long as you plan on keeping it and are going to install a new display, while you have it apart install an SSD and watch your speed increase 3-4x.

Moderated by  Acumowchek