Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT #636526 01/09/16 01:04 AM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Dr. REBOOT
Problem, my Blue & White G3, 350Mhz I think, is connected to a Dell 19" flat screen monitor. Has been working fine until I needed to use it this week. I,m now getting a message on the monitor saying I have no VGA signal.
To test the monitor I hooked a pc to it and came up fine. Am i correct in assuming the most likely problem is the video card? The G3 powers up, at least I get the start up Bong, but I have nothing else. Is there anything else possibly wrong? I don't want to spend $$ on a new card just to find I have other issues.
Will the video card from a PowerMac G4, M8493, fit & work in the B&W G3?
Need to keep the G3 running as I use it for all household finance & tax info

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: choker] #636536 01/09/16 06:57 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Check the battery on the G3. Should be 3.x volts.

The video card for the G4 is probably an AGP, you need a PCI for the G3. See the pic below.

Does the monitor blink or click or do anything doing startup other than no VGA message?

To test the G3, boot it up, give it enough time to finish. Alternate hitting Command-Period and then the Return key a few times to dismiss any dialogs that may have come up that you can't see. Next either push the power button on the keyboard, or hold Control and hit the Eject key and release. You should hear the computer Bonk or whatever, then hit Return. If the computer shuts down it is successfully booting up and it's probably just the video card. Those key combos bring up the shutdown dialog, try it on the working G4 to see what it does.

Yes, I'll be here till the lights go out. smile

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: Reboot] #636554 01/10/16 01:46 AM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Well, tried what you suggested. When I hit the power button to power up the G3 I got the usual boot up Bong. Heard drives spinning up, etc. After I let it sit for several minutes & I hit the Control period & enter several times alternately. Then hit the power button & Nada. never got any further sounds other than drive noise
Tried Control period enter some more and then Power button again. Finally had to force shut down.
????????

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: choker] #636558 01/10/16 04:20 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: choker
Tried Control period enter some more and then Power button again. Finally had to force shut down.
????????
It's Command-Period not Control Period. But that's only after it first starts up, not to shut it down. Command is the key next to the spacebar.

I think there may be a misunderstanding. Read back through my instructions.

Did you hit power button on the keyboard to shut down, or the one on the tower, it needs to be the keyboard.

Did you try Control-Eject then Return.

Did you try the shutdown key combos on the working G4 to see what it does?

Hang in there, we'll figure it out. smile

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: choker] #636559 01/10/16 04:28 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Also don't forget to test the battery for at least 3v, or try the one from the G4 since it's working. Take note of + and - ends of the battery.

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: Reboot] #636579 01/10/16 05:23 PM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Sorry, I meant COMMAND PERIOD.

Yes, I hit the keyboard power button.

No eject button on the original G3 blue&white keyboard unless it's labeled something else?

As for the battery, I haven't opened the case but the tower has been plugged into a UPS since I last set it up. Was working fine until this last attempt to start up.

choker

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: choker] #636584 01/10/16 06:14 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Do the Command-period and Return before hitting the power button on the keyboard. That is just to make sure that there are no dialogs on screen. Then after that hit the power button then Return.

Did you try this on the working G4 to see what happens?

I've run across Macs that wouldn't boot because of a bad battery. It was running okay but then failed to start the next time they used it. The UPS has nothing to do with booting if it has a bad battery BTW.

Also try pulling then reseating all of the RAM, video card, and any other add on cards. I've seen older machines not boot because of oxidized connections.

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: Reboot] #636629 01/12/16 12:55 AM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Well I guess I get a battery and check all connections b4 I go further.
Thanks, keep you posted
choker

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: choker] #636636 01/12/16 03:22 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: choker
Well I guess I get a battery and check all connections b4 I go further.
Thanks, keep you posted
choker
Just try the battery from the G4. They are around $20 around here. It's a 1/2AA lithium 3.6v BTW.

Re: Monitor says no VGA signal Dr. REBOOT [Re: Reboot] #636702 01/14/16 02:40 AM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Well, battery, NO GO.
all connections clean & tight
I guess it's shop time
Too bad I'm in NC Doc. I need a good Surgeon
choker

Page 1 of 2 1 2