Print Thread
Hop To
Unresponsive Mac Mini #635680 11/21/15 02:23 PM
PapaBill Offline OP
Where's the cache?
OP Offline
Where's the cache?
I don't see anywhere else to put this, so here goes:

The Mac Mini I have (Mac Mini-1.43 Ghz Power PC G4, running Mac OS X 10.5.8 with a 74.5Gb HD) is now completely unresponsive. When I turn it on , I hear the Mac chime, and a few seconds later I see the welcome gray screen with the Apple and the little spinning disk at the bottom. Then it turn to a blank blue screen. The mouse cursor 'arrow-head' is visible (from time to time), and it moves when I move the mouse, but from time to time it disappears, and appears somewhere on the screen.

There are no icons whatsoever.

Yesterday, I was running the mail program (the default one that comes with Mac OS X 10.5.8). It 'locked up' (a spinning multi-colored disk appeared, and NEVER went away). The machine would do nothing, and after about 15 minutes, I unplugged the power supply. Now, all it does is come up with the blank blue screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13
Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: PapaBill] #635683 11/21/15 03:35 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Try booting to what's called SafeBoot mode. Shut the computer down. As soon as you hit the power button hold the Shift key down and keep holding till you see the Apple and the little spinning gear thing. You can then release the shift key. It will take longer to start up as it is doing a disk check and clearing font caches. In safe mode it turns off all non-Apple fonts and extensions too.

If it boots back up restart normally.

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: Reboot] #635685 11/21/15 04:45 PM
PapaBill Offline OP
Where's the cache?
OP Offline
Where's the cache?
Nope, it didn't boot up properly. Still got the blue screen

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: PapaBill] #635687 11/21/15 06:04 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Did it show a progress bar at the bottom of the screen when the Apple was on?

Did it ask you for your password and say Safe Boot in the log in window?

If neither of those it may not have gone to Safe Boot, try again, make sure you hold the shift key down as soon as you hear the startup chime and don't release it until you see the apple and spinng gear thingy.

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: PapaBill] #635688 11/21/15 06:13 PM
PapaBill Offline OP
Where's the cache?
OP Offline
Where's the cache?
Sorry, I meant to say that this is an IDENTICAL but different Mac Mini.

It did not ask for a password, nor did it show a progress bar. All that happened was the spinning disk ran for a longer time, then the blue screen. I have tried it 3 times so far, and holding down the shift key until I see the spinning disk spinning.

Last edited by papabill; 11/21/15 06:17 PM.

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: PapaBill] #635694 11/21/15 06:50 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Since you have another mini, put the bad one into Target Disk Mode (TDM).

Connect a Firewire (FW) cable between the two.

At this point you don't have to shut either down to connect the FW cable. The hard drive on the one you put into TDM should show up on the desktop of the good one as a yellow icon.

Open Disk Utility and run Repair Disk on the bad/TDM hard drive.

Next download the 10.5.8 combo update from the good mini and then run it on the bad mini. When you launch the installer choose the hard drive from the bad one, it will have the yellow icon.

You won't lose any files or data BTW.

When you're done running the combo update either eject the disk of the TDM machine and disconnect the FW cable, or shut the working one down then disconnect the FW cable.

Push the power button on the bad/TDM machine to shut it down and get it out of TDM/

Boot up the bad one and cross your fingers toes and anything else you can. smile

If it boots up run Software Update a few times as it will overwrite some system files.

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: Reboot] #635702 11/22/15 02:20 PM
PapaBill Offline OP
Where's the cache?
OP Offline
Where's the cache?
I don't have a FireWire cable.

And regardless of what I do, the Mac ONLY boots up to the blue screen. I know the keyboard is good, cause it works O.K. on the other one.

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: PapaBill] #635705 11/22/15 04:24 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Have you even tried putting it into Target Disk Mode? I have seen your issue a lot of times and the blue screen won't stop it from going into TDM.

If it goes to TDM just push the power button to turn it off till you get a cable.

If you don't have a FW cable and don't want to get one your only other option is to use the install DVD and reinstall the OS over what you have.

Cable is $5 shipped on ebay.

Re: Unresponsive Mac Mini [Re: PapaBill] #636056 12/12/15 05:11 AM
PapaBill Offline OP
Where's the cache?
OP Offline
Where's the cache?
Finally had to completely reinstall Leopard 10.5 and start over. But, at least it's working now.

Thanks

Moderated by  Acumowchek