Hop To
Mac Mini Server (hey Reboot!) #632319 07/30/15 12:04 AM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
Member # -1
OP Offline
Member # -1
J
So my new workplace is a small start up drug testing lab. We have our own workstations but no server and no backup on site.

My boss wants to talk about this tomorrow.

I want to pitch the idea of running a Mac Mini Server rather than a Windows box server. Figure that we could install it in a partition.

Thoughts? What should I propose? and backup is needed

Re: Mac Mini Server (hey Reboot!) [Re: John Rougeux] #632323 07/30/15 02:49 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
A lot of factors. How many computers. Network topology. What kind of data everybody is sharing.

Unless it's a lot of workstations feeding off of a large database a server is probably overkill, especially if it's a startup, expenses matter. A server expense may not be necessary at the moment.

Windows servers are so often just make-work, job security, for Windows IT guys, I've seen so much of it.

We need to talk IOW.

Re: Mac Mini Server (hey Reboot!) [Re: John Rougeux] #632324 07/30/15 03:18 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Most importantly you need to consider HIPAA compliance whichever way you go.

You're dealing with patient's medical and personal data. You will need to be HIPAA compliant everywhere. Computer HDs and backups will need to be encrypted.

Onsite backup. If you're doing all Macs, depending on the number of workstations, TimeCapsule may be enough. All Mac computer HDs must be FileVault encrypted. Lots of log on wake form sleep etc restrictions.

Offsite backup. CrashPlan. They have a HIPAA compliant plan. It's $1300 extra to initially set up the secure servers.

Re: Mac Mini Server (hey Reboot!) [Re: John Rougeux] #632327 07/30/15 10:27 AM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
Member # -1
OP Offline
Member # -1
J
Uhm...some of us go to bed early, that's why the no answer/call back. laugh

HIPPA...I know all about HIPPA. It's part of my degree that I'm getting.

Reason for a server is because right now there is no backup on site. I *think* CGM is backing up LabDAQ for us off site, but I'm not sure. It's on my list to check.

Also, no backup of files or emails on site. Right now, we have 6 desktops and 2 laptops, all windows machines. I'm assuming since probably Labdaq runs on windows?

Moderated by  Acumowchek