Hop To
DSL vs Cable #629455 04/26/15 04:54 PM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
I've been running DSL & have gotten fed up with their BS most important being service.
Having NO experience with cable , is it any better service & cost wise than DSL?
I'll be moving to a new home the end of May so now is the perfect time to change providers. Time Warner is a local Cable provider, any input good or bad?

Re: DSL vs Cable [Re: choker] #629461 04/26/15 09:04 PM
Nana Offline
I mod in my sleep!
I mod in my sleep!
Originally Posted By: choker
Time Warner is a local Cable provider, any input good or bad?

Comcast abandons Time Warner Cable bid after gov't pushback laugh

P.S. When dealing w/cable companies...
NEGOTIATE NEGOTIATE NEGOTIATE

Re: DSL vs Cable [Re: choker] #629462 04/26/15 09:04 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
J
I haven't ever had DSL, only cable, for at least 15 years now. Haven't had ANY complaints. Well, at least none that I can recall. I haven't had to call them for service in a long while. We have Time Warner and while I have heard bad things about them, so far we are ok.

DSL is limited by how far you are from their switch/hub. We are always too far away even though we are in a suburb.

Re: DSL vs Cable [Re: choker] #629464 04/26/15 09:42 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Like John said, DSL is limited by how far you are from their switch/hub. I'm in the suburbs also. Where I'm at DSL can only offer something like 275 Kbps download, I'm too far from my switch even though it's a bustling burb.

At the other place I used to live, just 2 miles from here, it was a totally different switch and I could have got much better speed. I went with cable though since it offered even faster.

DSL is your own pipe/phone-line, so you're not affected by local traffic. With cable everyone in your area is branched off of the same cable. With cable some people find a slowdown during peak hours, 5PM to around 11PM though I have never noticed it, it's all in how your cable company is routing things, obviously they do ours well.

If both speeds are equal, I would prefer cable, easier to set up and maintain.

BTW, whether cable or DSL buy your own modem and router and save their monthly charges which range anywhere from $5-10 a month, some places higher if you're using their wireless router instead of your own. Some charge for the modem/router, plus the use of the wireless part. I've seen up to $15 surcharges per month.

The only advantage to using their modem/router is if there is a problem with the modem they will replace it. If you have your own modem you are responsible if the modem goes out. I have a spare modem. I got both on ebay, DOCSIS 2.0 models for less than $50 total. If you get higher than 30Mbps speed the modems are more expensive, you'd need a DOCSIS 3.0, you can get two on ebay for around $80-90. They will pay for themselves in less than a year.

Re: DSL vs Cable [Re: choker] #629466 04/26/15 10:40 PM
C
choker Offline OP
Where's the RAM?
OP Offline
Where's the RAM?
C
Thank you all.
Never having had cable i wasn't sure what i might be getting into.
As far as modems are concerned I bought my own DSL Wireless & planned to do the same if i went cable. Thanks for the recommendations

Re: DSL vs Cable [Re: choker] #629478 04/27/15 05:15 PM
MacGizmo Offline
What?
What?
Cable is a LOT faster than DSL, both in upload and download speed. But it also (generally) costs more. In my experience using both, Cable is a lot easier to set up and use as well.

I went with a cheap $60 DOCSIS 3 modem and hooked it up to my Airport TimeCapsule and it was dead simple. I've had this setup for a few years now and haven't had any issues.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, reviews & more on all things OSX & graphic design.

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Moderator, neil, Reboot