Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Apple watch sales [Re: MrB] #629168 04/12/15 04:23 PM
DLC Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
I was / am skeptical…BUT I also realize that the public might think this is the best thing since sliced Bread !! It all has to do with perception…

I totally expected stellar sales with iPods and iPhones… those were greatly needed and I could plainly see a use. My skepticism comes from if you already have and carry an iPhone - WTF does the iWatch do ? (OK - measures cardiac, and exercise data - BFD !) Do I really need this info? Also it's small - advantage you don't lug a phone around… BUT how do I do things on that watch I can do in an iPhone - like text, email ? my big fat fingers don't work ! mad Google maps… Weatherbug maps.. etc… WHY would I want to carry both ? Much is duplication ! How many people carry an iPod and an iPhone? I'd guess damm few! why ? Duplication !

If it was $50 I might consider, but $400… nope !!

THAT said _ know I'm not the general public nor part of the younger culture… SO maybe it's a hot fashion / status deal. I accept that and am very happy for Apple !! Way to go !! Kudos- another feather in your cap !! grin

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: DLC] #629171 04/12/15 05:16 PM
garyW Offline
mid-century modern
mid-century modern
I'm going to wait until the next version, but I love many of the features offered by the watch. Specifically the health apps, and there will be many more coming soon. I'm not currently a watch wearer, so it is the bulkiness of the thing that doesn't appeal to me. No doubt in a year or so it'll be slimmer, sleeker, lighter and way more functional w/o an iPhone in tow.

For the last several weeks I've been using the new iOS 8.1.2 health app on my phone and paying close attention to my daily activity. This means I'm carrying my phone around all the time when I go for my morning walk and throughout the day. In just the short time I've been tracking myself I know that if I don't reach 5.5 to 6 miles by dinnertime I take the dog on an even longer evening walk. So just the iPhone app has made me keenly aware and changed my behavior. I think the Apple Watch is going to do this in a much bigger way and people are going to love it as well as depend on it.

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: DLC] #629172 04/12/15 06:07 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: DLC
WHY would I want to carry both ? Much is duplication ! How many people carry an iPod and an iPhone? I'd guess damm few! why ? Duplication !
Not really. To do the heavy lifting the watch needs the phone.

It can do some things on its own but it is limited.

Click.

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: DLC] #629173 04/12/15 06:26 PM
MrB Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
For me, I'm like you. In fact , I've not worn a watch in 15 years. I'm not on any schedule so don't need the constant time

My daughter is a nurse my son in law teaches now my grand daughter us a student . But the kicker is that they all like gadgets

Dave

If we don't count our blessings
We are just wasting our time
Re: Apple watch sales [Re: garyW] #629187 04/12/15 11:53 PM
DLC Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
Might try that on my phone !! I needs the exercise too !! blush

What's the name of it ??

I can't wait til they programs Siri to come on when you're inactive and say "GET OFF YOUR FATT AZZ, BLUBBER BUTT !!!" laugh

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: DLC] #629188 04/13/15 12:07 AM
garyW Offline
mid-century modern
mid-century modern
Health app was included as part of the previous iOS8 update.

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: MrB] #629189 04/13/15 12:17 AM
AusMac Offline
Personally there are quite a number of watches in my collection but I haven't worn a watch for decades.

“His throw went absolutely nowhere near where it was going.” ~ Richie Benaud.
Re: Apple watch sales [Re: garyW] #629193 04/13/15 12:38 AM
DLC Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
Ah - found it -- I stuck it in a folder with other Lifestyle Apps.

I'll check the accuracy… says I climbed i flight of stairs one day last week… I think I did 5-6 that day… BUT we'll see !!

Thanks.

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: MrB] #629195 04/13/15 12:52 AM
J
John Rougeux Offline
Member # -1
Member # -1
J
Pharrell had one before the release.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 2-3rd generation before getting one...once it untethers from the iPhone.

Re: Apple watch sales [Re: MrB] #629216 04/13/15 05:12 PM
MacGizmo Offline
What?
What?
I've been considering buying a watch for the last year or so. My previous watch lasted about 10 years - even though it was a cheap piece of crap that cost me less than $100.

The problem I have with the Apple Watch is not the price, or the gimmick factor. It's that I really don't believe it will last 10 years or more. In fact, I'm guessing the battery is going to be a dud in under 4 years.

The second problem is that there is too much "unknown factor" involved for my taste. Will features be added as software updates, or are we stuck where we're at right now (technologically speaking)? Will they be able to add hardware upgrades in the future, thus extending it's useful tech life? How long will the battery last (years, not hours)? How easily can the battery be replaced, and how much will it cost?

For $400, I can get a really nice analog watch that will last (most likely, if taken care of) a lifetime. My gut says the Apple Watch will expire in 4-5 years. But maybe that's Apple's plan to begin with... maybe they want us to buy a new watch every few years.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, reviews & more on all things OSX & graphic design.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Moderator, neil, Reboot