Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? #628555 03/17/15 07:14 AM
M
Man_inSeat_61 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK, so I need a new laptop to replace my trusty 5 year old Sony Vaio 13" Z series.

Cutting a long story short, all today's Windows Ultrabooks seem to have a dealbreaker somewhere, be it lacklustre screen or performance or battery life or keyboard.

The MacBook Pro 13" ticks every single box for me, seems to be a clear winner, the only potential dealbreaker here is switching to Mac OS.

OK, so I get hold of the programs I use in their Mac version, case solved.

Or rather, just one problem left. I edit my website in Frontpage 2003 (yes,yes, I know, but I do and it works and I have found no easy alternative, especially not one that handles my many FP Include Files)

OK, so I buy Parallels, load Windows 7, then load my copy of Frontpage (see - I have done my research! ;0) I'll go for the fastest 3.1GHz MBP with 16Gb RAM.

My remaining questions are mostly just to allay my nervousness:

(1) Does this work? I assume it must do...

(2) Does it work well, speedily, smoothly, as good as it currently does on a 5-year old PC with native Windows? Not slowly, clunkily, judderingly, or frustratingly?

(3) Does it work seamlessly? I.e. I just click on the Frontpage icon on my Mac desktop, Frontpage opens (with the windows/parallels VM hidden away behind the scenes), I can import photos from the MacBook hard drive and save files to Dropbox just as if I was doing everything in one OS?

Is there some awful drawback that I haven't spotted?

Thanks!

Last edited by Man_inSeat_61; 03/17/15 07:18 AM.
Re: Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? [Re: Man_inSeat_61] #628565 03/17/15 04:24 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
I can't speak to any specific app running in Parallels... but a few years back they ran apps under Parallels and also on a native PC and found PC apps ran faster on the Mac/Parallels config than they did on a PC. LOL.
That was years ago though....

I looked at some say that it cant possibly run faster in virtualization than natively... but it should be wicked close. Especially with a new Mac.

Re: Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? [Re: NucleusG4] #628566 03/17/15 04:30 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Why not Bootcamp? (if you don't need to run both OSes at same time)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164817/the_best_way_to_run_windows_on_your_mac.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)

Re: Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? [Re: Man_inSeat_61] #628572 03/17/15 07:20 PM
M
Man_inSeat_61 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks NucleusG4, it's appreciated. I dare say I'll become a Mac convert yet...

Re: Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? [Re: Man_inSeat_61] #628573 03/17/15 07:31 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Look for a response from our resident Mac expert-Jim. He'll be in later tonight probably.

Re: Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? [Re: Man_inSeat_61] #628587 03/18/15 02:07 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Reboot, aka Jim here.

My prodigy, NucleusG4 has most of it right. If only he wasn't a Terminal wuss.

First off, nice hardware choice.

You'll have a trial on Parallels, you'll have a trial on Windows, you have 14 days trial on the MacBook Pro.

Like NG4 said, you can go BootCamp and boot straight into Windows off of the HD, but, with Parallels you can run the best of both worlds at the same time. Parallels has Coherence mode which runs separate Windows windows inside of OS X. Remember, you will not need AV software in Windows, especially if you only use Windows for Frontpage or to test your web design in various browsers.

I still need to run a couple of apps in Windows. You will have the latest hardware w/flash drive, whereas I have a 5 YO Core 2 Duo mini that I put a flash drive in. For me Parallels boots in 5 secs, XP boots in about 25 secs.

Parallels is really solid. Just let the Parallels install guide you through everything, say yes to everything. We can tweak later if needed but probably not.

Frontpage won't even strain the Windows or OS X system, it's not a database or graphic app.
You can probably allocate 2G RAM to Windows. 3 if you feeling like partying. smirk

Re: Web editing via Parallels - an OK experience? [Re: Man_inSeat_61] #628601 03/18/15 03:04 PM
M
Man_inSeat_61 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Reboot!

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot