Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Apples announcements [Re: MrB] #628304 03/10/15 01:28 AM
J
John Rougeux Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
J
Originally Posted By: MrB
So, I wonder about the price drop on Apple TV . That's so unlike Apple, unless they plant to introduce a new model.

They dropped the price awhile ago. The original one was $299.

Re: Apples announcements [Re: NucleusG4] #628308 03/10/15 02:49 AM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
Dell Samsung Microsoft Lenovo is looking better every day.
As much as I love OS X and iOS, Apples hardware offerings are really letting me down. There is no way I can afford every accessory to make them do what I want.
Apple Tax is not a myth.

Re: Apples announcements [Re: Nana] #628310 03/10/15 10:04 AM
S
Stumpy1 Offline
Chris Squire Rules!
Chris Squire Rules!
S
I like your emoticon! laugh

Stumpy
"Seek for the merit in others, even the tiniest shred. Then do the same in yourself"
-Reb Nachman
Re: Apples announcements [Re: Acumowchek] #628314 03/10/15 10:24 AM
J
John Rougeux Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
J
Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Dell Samsung Microsoft Lenovo is looking better every day.
As much as I love OS X and iOS, Apples hardware offerings are really letting me down. There is no way I can afford every accessory to make them do what I want.
Apple Tax is not a myth.

Not sure what you mean?

If you bought say a new Macbook, what accessory would you need that no other computer requires? (printer, wireless router...what else?)

If you bought a Watch, what other accessory would you need? You don't need another band..you want one but it still works with the band it comes with. Nothing else is required other than an iPhone 5 or later.

For as long as I can remember, Apple has always been this way...it offers basic all the way up to high dollar.

I'm not just trying to defend Apple, but I'm genuinely interested in what makes you think that you have to get something else in order for you to use it the way you want?

Re: Apples announcements [Re: John Rougeux] #628315 03/10/15 11:10 AM
NucleusG4 Offline OP
Master•Blaster
OP Offline
Master•Blaster
Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Originally Posted By: MrB
So, I wonder about the price drop on Apple TV . That's so unlike Apple, unless they plant to introduce a new model.

They dropped the price awhile ago. The original one was $299.

I think he is referring to yesterdays price drop from 99 to 69... not the the drop from 40 years ago.

Re: Apples announcements [Re: John Rougeux] #628319 03/10/15 01:33 PM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
"Not sure what you mean? "
I'm just kvetching about Apples obsession with minimalism, and the prices they charge for cables, adapters, and pretty much every Apple branded add on.

I know, I know, Tech marches on!

Re: Apples announcements [Re: Acumowchek] #628320 03/10/15 03:44 PM
MacGizmo Offline
What?
What?
The new MacBooks are clearly not meant for you then. In reality, they're probably not meant for anyone here. They're for the college-age and retirement age user who surfs the web, uses social media and has digital photo collections. For those average users, no external devices are needed. Printers are almost all wireless capable now, WiFi is everywhere (including TM backups). There's just no need for ports.

For those that do need ports for add-ons, you have the MBAir (primarily a secondary computer for most users), or the MBPro for higher-end single-rig users.

Quite frankly, I expect Apple to rid themselves of one of the three laptop lines (probably the Pro), once they ramp-up these new MacBooks with better video/processor/RAM/storage. Or possibly kill the Air, since these new models are lighter than the Air models to begin with.

I also expect Apple will eventually kill off the MacPro. The few users who need the multiple video cards just don't justify the cost of maintaining development on it (long term). They can add better video and I/O to the iMac Retina and charge a premium.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, reviews & more on all things OSX & graphic design.
Re: Apples announcements [Re: NucleusG4] #628323 03/10/15 04:51 PM
MrB Offline
I invented modding!
I invented modding!
Yes. The price of the curent style of Apple TV has been $99. Forever. Am thinking that they may introduce a new model

I bout a new version this winter for Xmas gift. Noticed it producd resolution of 1080p. The one I have is only 720p. I actuall was planning to buy one for my daughter so the price reduction is very nice. But for me I'm not sure the increased resolution is enough for me to buy one for myself .

Dave

If we don't count our blessings
We are just wasting our time
Re: Apples announcements [Re: MrB] #628325 03/10/15 05:16 PM
NucleusG4 Offline OP
Master•Blaster
OP Offline
Master•Blaster
There are other things it does that Gen 1 doesn't.
The one my daughter and I like is Airplay. I shoot video and pics of her at an event... and we come and play it on the phone thru the ATV and on to the tv. She loves it and is occupied for a few minutes after I watch some.
I also have Amazon Prime and was getting tired off watching it on my Mac... tried to figure out how to get it to my tv... Airplay to the rescue. Worked like a charm. Was worried they might know it was only a phone and send lo-res feed... but it looked fine. It was soft fora minute or two..then it caught up and looked good. Maybe not U-Verse quality... but close.

Re: Apples announcements [Re: MrB] #628326 03/10/15 06:43 PM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
Yep, I got tired of waiting for a refreshed Apple TV, and bought the 3rd generation. Love it, but I'm surprised they haven't come out with something new.

No, the new MacBooks are not for me, I'm a desktop kind of guy, but the new Mini's and iMacs are still a step backward in my opinion.

Question: Anyone here have any Thunderbolt peripherals? Another great technology hampered by high price.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Moderator, neil, Reboot