Hop To
Protected AAC Files #627141 02/07/15 01:15 AM
S
Stumpy1 Offline OP
Chris Squire Rules!
OP Offline
Chris Squire Rules!
S
Burned a disc of songs. Was listening to it in the car the last few days, and noticed there were two songs from the playlist missing from the disc.

Went back to look at the playlist. Turns out those two songs are "protected AAC files." The other songs are all "purchased AAC files," AIFF, or some other format.

It's odd that they would be protected, since they were purchased from iTunes. Both songs were old, purchased in '04 and '05. I wonder if iTunes changed them at some point. Neither song was recorded onto a disc more than once.

Wierd.

Stumpy
"Seek for the merit in others, even the tiniest shred. Then do the same in yourself"
-Reb Nachman
Re: Protected AAC Files [Re: Stumpy1] #627150 02/07/15 12:35 PM
S
Stumpy1 Offline OP
Chris Squire Rules!
OP Offline
Chris Squire Rules!
S
Uh, I mean, "Weird." blush

Stumpy
"Seek for the merit in others, even the tiniest shred. Then do the same in yourself"
-Reb Nachman
Re: Protected AAC Files [Re: Stumpy1] #627158 02/07/15 03:58 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline
Member # -1
Member # -1
J
I think you can burn them to CD then rip them back to your computer to get rid of that AAC protection.

Re: Protected AAC Files [Re: John Rougeux] #627166 02/07/15 06:49 PM
S
Stumpy1 Offline OP
Chris Squire Rules!
OP Offline
Chris Squire Rules!
S
Thanks, John, I will try that in the future.

As it turns out, I had both songs in the Cloud, and when I downloaded those versions, I was able to record them, at least this time.

Stumpy
-Reb Nachman
Re: Protected AAC Files [Re: Stumpy1] #627169 02/07/15 07:35 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
So you have iTunes Match then?

Check this out on how to replace low bit rate songs with 256 AAC.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/2011/11/how-...m-itunes-match/

Re: Protected AAC Files [Re: John Rougeux] #627235 02/09/15 12:32 AM
S
Stumpy1 Offline OP
Chris Squire Rules!
OP Offline
Chris Squire Rules!
S
John - Ran into a song last night that I will eventually want to re-burn on a CD for a new playlist. Again, it's a song I know I haven't copied more than a couple of times.

These "protected" songs won't burn to a CD at all. However, I have a habit of making a CD of a playlist once it reaches about an hour in length. I imported the tune I wanted from the old CD, then dragged it to the playlist I wanted to make, and the imported song reads AIFF and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to burn it with no problem.

Which reminds me that I don't like the presentation of the music on the CD with the newer versions of iTunes. One used to be able to drag-and-drop one song to a playlist without using the "import" function, but now I can't find a way to activate the sidebar showing the playlists when on the screen with the CD. If you only want one or two songs, this is a lot more work, having to "un-check" the boxes on most of the songs.

Reboot - Thanks for the link. Very interesting and I can see it's usefulness. I have "Match" off right now, but could turn it on if I need to use this.

The lower bit rate hasn't bothered me, but not being able to copy when I know I haven't reached the seven-song limit does.

Of course, a lot of the newer songs were purchased with unlimited copy rights.

I'm going to keep a copy of that article just in case I need it.

I wonder if some recent version of iTunes changed things. I had no problem last summer with these older songs.

Thanks to you both!

smile

Stumpy
-Reb Nachman

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot