Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is this a good deal, Jim? #625051 11/23/14 01:13 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Crucial M550 CT512M550SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA 6Gbps MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $220?

I'm this close to just getting it and then replacing the HD in my 2008 iMac. Worth it for this "old" mac? I know the speed would increase, but...knowing that it's 6 years old....that's halfway to a new Mac Mini.

(really going back and forth whether I really want to go to a laptop as a main machine for school...)

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625056 11/23/14 02:52 PM
MacGizmo Offline
What?
What?
My 2 cents: You're crazy to spend any money at all upgrading a 6 year old computer of any kind.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, reviews & more on all things OSX & graphic design.
Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625057 11/23/14 03:02 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
I know what you are saying, but if I can extend the life of this computer 2-3 more years, then it would be worth it to me.

As a student, I don't want to spend a lot of money now on stuff like this, that's why I'm really debating getting a laptop. I need one for school so that I don't have to sit at home doing homework...I can do it wherever I can create a hotspot.

I also need a home desktop for iTunes/music and so that my son can use it for school if needed.

If there was a way to use iTunes without a computer (say on a Time capsule for example), then I would go that route.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625059 11/23/14 03:42 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Well, I ordered the lower end (MX100..same size, $10 cheaper) version along with the Icy Dock & the 2TB external drive (paid $21 total!) that Jim recommended.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625067 11/23/14 05:05 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
The MX series benchmarks about 10% or so slower than the M series, but compared to the speed of a regular HD either one will blow it away.

As far as upgrading an old machine, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. I put an MX 100 in my Early 2009 mini and in day to day tasks it blows away a new mini. Granted if I were doing video processing or heavy graphics or something the newer i5 CPU would make a difference, but for what I use it for it was well worth it as compared to getting a new computer.

It fully boots up in about 25 secs as compared to 1:30 or so. Parallels used to take close to 3 minutes to launch even from Suspended mode. 20 secs now. Almost all apps launch in a couple of secs.

Enjoy, you'll love it.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625068 11/23/14 05:10 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
I figure if the iMac goes belly up any time, I can always put the SSD in an external case.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625078 11/23/14 06:22 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Not really doing much "heavy" work on this anymore.

What do you think about these instructions? I found them online. What type of tape would be best to use?

And I found a video how to replace. One of the comments said: "You need to install SSD Fan Control". Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriduyHGBG8

Tools required
T6 Torx Driver and T9 Torx Driver
Suction Cups for removing the glass front panel
Philips Screwdriver for removing the memory cover.

1. Remove the memory slot cover from the base of the machine.
2. Using the suction cups carefully place on the glass screen cover and remove the glass panel. Place somewhere safe and clean.
3. Remove the torx screws from the front panel surround on the edge of the LCD screen (some of the screws are different sizes)
4. Lift the screen away from the main chassis and life up and over above the computer
5. Remove the screws holding the LCD panel to the chassis
6. Remove 2 screws from the LCD connector and remove the connector from the graphics card
7. Carefully life the LCD panel from the bottom to expose the 4 small connectors for the backlight. Mark the connectors with a marker to aid reassembly and disconnect the connectors
8. Lift the panel clear of the chassis
9. Remove the hard drive temperate sensor and place to one side
10. Unclip the hard drive from the chassis. This plastic bracket can be a tight fit so some force is required to remove it
11. Remove the power and SATA connectors from the hard drive and remove from the chassis
12. Remove the screws holding the plastic clip from the hard drive and the 2 mounting pins from the other side of the hard drive
13. Fit the clip and pins to the new hard drive
14. Reconnect the power and SATA connectors and clip the new hard drive back into the computer chassis
15. Refit the LCD screen and reconnect the 4 small backlight connectors
16. Place the LCD panel flat on the chassis and reconnect the screen connector and refit the two small screws
17. Refit all the screws from the edge of the LCD screen
18. Refit front panel and take care not to trap the small cable at the top of the screen
19. Refit all the front panel screws in the same order as they where removed (some of the screws are different sizes)
20. Clean any dust from the LCD panel and the front glass panel using a soft screen cleaning cloth (don't use compressed air as this often leaves propellant on the screen which is very hard to remove)
21. Remove the suction cups from the screen and clean the glass.
22. Refit the memory slot cover on the base of the machine.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625083 11/23/14 10:10 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
This vid below is better for the take apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5TZzS6ZFo

It follows your numbered list. I don't know why the guy in yours goes through the trouble of removing the video cable from the LCD when it's easier to just unplug it from the logic board like in the video above, and not have to mess with the tape or the fragile connector on the back of the LCD.

It also makes it easier to get to the other 4 connectors.

The one above is for an HD replacement. The one in your vid doesn't have the right instructions for the icy dock either, see the next link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwuAcXhfeSI

Number 10 of the one you posted is correct 10. Unclip the hard drive from the chassis. This plastic bracket can be a tight fit so some force is required to remove it.

I do what the guy in your vid does, remove the 2 screws from the HD first. That is a bitch to unclip from the chassis unless you have really strong fingers. After you put it back together it snaps back in okay, it does take some force though to get it fully snapped back in.

On newer models the fan control is built into the drive cables, they use the built in sensors in the HD. You're fine with yours. For the newer models if you don't use an Apple drive it see no temp sensor so it runs the fan full speed. SMC helps you to monitor temp and speed of all fans.

You can install it now to monitor what you have now and see if you need it when done.

Like the guy said in your video the temp sensor is not needed with the SSD. They run much cooler. I always just tape it near the bottom edge of the icy box. You might want to make sure that you have double sided tape. You'll see what I mean when you go to reattach the temp sensor. A piece underneath, and one over the top. You can use any decent tape on the top but the double sided is usually pretty sticky.

I use Kapton Tape. It's cheap, you can get it on ebay. Since I use it now and then I have some different sizes, but you'll only need about 3 inches off of a 100 ft roll so any decent tape except black electrical will do as it gets gooey when warm. You also do want something not too good in case you need to remove the sensor sometime.

Be very careful about tucking the microphone cable back in when you put the bezel back on, it's easy to get pinched.

Have a can of compressed air handy to clean it out.

After you're done install TRIM support.

You can use CCC to clone the SSD either before or after you install it. I recommend CCC because it will also clone the Recovery partition.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: Reboot] #625086 11/24/14 12:11 AM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Originally Posted By: Jim_
This vid below is better for the take apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5TZzS6ZFo

That's for the 20", I have the 24. Does that matter?

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625101 11/24/14 01:40 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
That's for the 20", I have the 24. Does that matter?
The video you posted mentions that the 24" will not need to have the screws removed from the LCD as the ones holding the bezel on are also holding the LCD. That's the only difference.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625187 11/26/14 05:41 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Jim,
that Seagate hard drive you gave a link to is now $10 cheaper! smile

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625267 11/28/14 02:44 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Newegg has this:
Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STBV4000100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178354

Tempted to get it and then not worry about those external ones like I have now. I know it uses a power supply, but why not get the most I can for a reasonable price?

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625268 11/28/14 03:07 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
That is a great deal. If it's replacing a few externals that is a lot cleaner. Not having a power supply means you have less to move if you have to move the drive around though. If you don't have a need to move it between computers the aesthetics of your computer set up our purely up to you. smile

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625270 11/28/14 04:06 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Well, I stuck with the 2TB. That was a better deal for me.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625407 12/02/14 08:35 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
Talk about easy! I just followed this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ktZ6PN2zg

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625409 12/02/14 08:41 PM
J
John Rougeux Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
J
1:11 from pushing button to log in with old hard drive.

25 seconds with new hard drive.

Oh yeah, and apparently the apple store here had left off the ram cover door the last time they had it.

Re: Is this a good deal, Jim? [Re: John Rougeux] #625418 12/03/14 01:04 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Success! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Acumowchek