Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) #623416 10/09/14 02:56 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
tl;dr HDMI keeps bugging out, green screen and messed up colors

Just recently (about 3 weeks ago) I got a new macbook pro (late 2013), retina.

For the past few days I have tried to hook it up with my TV to watch movies, but there's a very strange issue that occours. Let me explain in detail:

1. I connect my laptop and TV via HDMI, everything works fine, i get audio and video, i can mirror or use it as an external display.
2. I load up a movie with VLC (thus far i've only tested .mkv and .mp4 files) , i go fullscreen, and i press play. Again, everything works as expected.
3. After about 5-10 minutes (It varies from time to time) The TV screen flashes green and all the colors get very messed up, seems like some color(s) are missing and it stays that way. Oh and it only happens on the TV, not the laptop itself. Seems that the display driver or something crashes/ messes up the video player and then it starts displaying wrong colors

Picture here: http://i.imgur.com/NWZjc8h.jpg

When i replug the HDMI cable the colors go back to normal and everything is as it should, and then again, after about 5-10 minutes it does it again, and again, and again...

Here is what I have tried:
*Different media players: Ive tried both VLC and XMBC
*Different encoders/codecs in VLC
*Tried out different color profiles for both the laptop and TV, different resolutions and etc, every different combination with the display settings.
*Different cables and both thunderbolt and HDMI port, exactly the same results
*Reinstalled OS X(Not a complete format tho)

I don't think its the TV or the cables, or the movie(i've tried many different ones) since my fathers old 2011 macbook pro works perfect with the same cables and tv settings. He uses VLC too

So here i am, wondering if its a problem with my hardware or some stupid setting i've missed. Imagine watching a movie, and pausing it every 10 minutes to go and replug the cable and resume the movie, its absurd and driving me crazy.

Almost forgot to mention my laptops specs:
Im running OS X ver 10.9.5
i5 2.6GHz
8 GB of ram
13"

tl;dr HDMI keeps bugging out, green screen and messed up colors

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623419 10/09/14 03:42 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Try MPlayerX.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623421 10/09/14 04:22 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted By: Jim_
Try MPlayerX.

Same thing, happened in 40 seconds this time

Last edited by villur; 10/09/14 04:23 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623422 10/09/14 04:27 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Is there anything at the moment it happens in Console that gives a clue?

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623423 10/09/14 04:28 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Is there anything at the moment it happens in Console that gives a clue?

Will give that a try

Last edited by villur; 10/09/14 04:30 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623424 10/09/14 04:59 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
console didn't give a single line when it happened

Last edited by villur; 10/09/14 04:59 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623425 10/09/14 05:19 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Look at the very last post first. If that doesn't fix it.. then read the whole thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151157/retina-macbook-pro-hdmi-output-issue-discoloration

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: NucleusG4] #623427 10/09/14 05:37 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Look at the very last post first. If that doesn't fix it.. then read the whole thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151157/retina-macbook-pro-hdmi-output-issue-discoloration

I actually read the whole post and tried everything there before doing this post myself - thus the "*Tried out different color profiles for both the laptop and TV, different resolutions and etc, every different combination with the display settings."

Except i haven't tried bootcamp yet.

Last edited by villur; 10/09/14 05:38 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623429 10/09/14 06:47 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Have you considered a different HDMI cable. It has all the marks of 1 channel of color being incorrect/corrupt.
Pull a cable from somewhere in the system that you know works .. and try that.

Also.. if you have another HDMI device.. like say a BD player.. hook that up to same port and see if you have the issue. If so... then you know it's cable..or that port.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: NucleusG4] #623432 10/09/14 07:23 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Have you considered a different HDMI cable. It has all the marks of 1 channel of color being incorrect/corrupt.
Pull a cable from somewhere in the system that you know works .. and try that.

Also.. if you have another HDMI device.. like say a BD player.. hook that up to same port and see if you have the issue. If so... then you know it's cable..or that port.

I've tried 3 different HDMI cables and 1 thunderbolt cable that all work with other devices, and tried 2 different HDMI ports on the TV, that also work with other devices

I don't think i can use my cable box's or apple tv's HDMI ports for testing tho frown

I'll install windows on the mac and see if our DVD player thats in the basement atm has an HDMI in port and come back with the results

Last edited by villur; 10/09/14 07:23 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623433 10/09/14 08:50 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: villur
I don't think its the TV or the cables, or the movie(i've tried many different ones) since my fathers old 2011 macbook pro works perfect with the same cables and tv settings. He uses VLC too
What OS is he running?

What if you put yours into Target Disk Mode, run a thunderbolt between the two laptops, and boot his machine off of your system. Vice versa too. His into TDM and boot yours off of his.

Another thought, I know it's old school and basic, but have you tried zapping the PRAM?

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623434 10/09/14 09:56 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
What OS is he running?

What if you put yours into Target Disk Mode, run a thunderbolt between the two laptops, and boot his machine off of your system. Vice versa too. His into TDM and boot yours off of his.

Another thought, I know it's old school and basic, but have you tried zapping the PRAM?

I think hes running mavericks like me, and yes i've tried resetting the PRAM

EDIT: i can do the target disk mode stuff on saturday at best, if not then sunday for sure. But i going out of town for tomorrow but like i mentioned before, i'll do that eventually and post results

Last edited by villur; 10/09/14 09:59 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623439 10/10/14 12:16 AM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
From that thread...

Safe mode disables the GPU drivers so it's not the HD 4000. Mountain Lion has changes to the graphics system so it will have affected colour handling somewhere down the line

Also.. have you tried it on another tv?

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: NucleusG4] #623440 10/10/14 12:28 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
From that thread...

Safe mode disables the GPU drivers so it's not the HD 4000. Mountain Lion has changes to the graphics system so it will have affected colour handling somewhere down the line

Also.. have you tried it on another tv?

Haven't tried safemode yet, but windows 7 seems to play back stuff just fine. Just ran fine for 2 hours straight. Will need to do more testing to confirm, but these are the initial results

Also no, haven't tried on a different TV yet since i haven't had a chance.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623447 10/10/14 03:50 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
I think hes running mavericks like me, and yes i've tried resetting the PRAM
Wow, has to be driver/vid card issue. Same OS, same apps, processor shouldn't matter, but different vid card.

Doing TDM will tell you if your system will play okay on his hardware. If it does it's not software, it's a driver/vid card issue.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623479 10/10/14 06:46 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Im not sure if my dad will let me use his laptop tho he has important work stuff there and will take no risk, we have like a 2007/8 powerbook, would that work fine for testing? How should i do i tho, I'm a bit clueless.

The 2007/8 ones have lion on them i believe, or mountain lion

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623480 10/10/14 07:34 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
It all depends on which model it is exactly. If it can run Mavericks it would work, you could boot it off of your newer one with the newer one in TDM, but you would need a thunderbolt to firewire adapter, and a dvi to HDMI display adapter to get HDMI out of the older one.

Your 2013 needs Mavericks to boot. If the older one has Mavericks you can boot your newer one off of it with the old one in TDM. You would't need the HDMI adapter since you would be running off of the newer one's hardware.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623481 10/10/14 07:50 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Where did you buy this new MacBook Pro 2013 ?
Brand new?
If it's under any kind of warranty take it in and let them check it.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: NucleusG4] #623488 10/11/14 12:26 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Where did you buy this new MacBook Pro 2013 ?
Brand new?
If it's under any kind of warranty take it in and let them check it.

Bought it from a local retail/reseller (I live in Estonia)
Its brand new and has a 1 year warranty

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623560 10/12/14 02:14 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
It all depends on which model it is exactly. If it can run Mavericks it would work, you could boot it off of your newer one with the newer one in TDM, but you would need a thunderbolt to firewire adapter, and a dvi to HDMI display adapter to get HDMI out of the older one.

Your 2013 needs Mavericks to boot. If the older one has Mavericks you can boot your newer one off of it with the old one in TDM. You would't need the HDMI adapter since you would be running off of the newer one's hardware.

My new one, that has the problems has mavericks and the old 2007 one has lion, it doesn't support later versions of OS X. I have a hdmi to dvi adapter, but not a firewire one.

What should i do :P?

Last edited by villur; 10/12/14 02:22 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623579 10/13/14 12:00 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Also, if it plays fine on windows, shouldn't that mean that its def a driver issue since hardware is the same but drivers are different i assume? I need to do some further testing to be 100% sure tho. Would a full format help me? I don't have any valuable docs or files on the laptop atm so its no big deal, but would it help laugh?

(It wouldn't let me edit the last post, so apologies for just me posting many times in a row)

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623585 10/13/14 02:41 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Also, if it plays fine on windows, shouldn't that mean that its def a driver issue since hardware is the same but drivers are different i assume?
From what you told me you can't boot the old and new laptop from the other's OS. New won't do Lion, old won't do Mavericks so that's out.

In order of difficulty;

Trying it in windows may tell. It does involve a lengthy process to get there though.

You could always install a new OS on an external drive just to test then you wouldn't have to mess with the internal on the laptop.

The easiest thing of course would be to boot your hard drive off of the other newer laptop, and vice versa, but...I get it. smile

Re; posting so many times in a row. lol If you're worried about that you're in the wrong place. We're easy. cool

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623591 10/13/14 08:44 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Also, if it plays fine on windows, shouldn't that mean that its def a driver issue since hardware is the same but drivers are different i assume?
From what you told me you can't boot the old and new laptop from the other's OS. New won't do Lion, old won't do Mavericks so that's out.

In order of difficulty;

Trying it in windows may tell. It does involve a lengthy process to get there though.

You could always install a new OS on an external drive just to test then you wouldn't have to mess with the internal on the laptop.

The easiest thing of course would be to boot your hard drive off of the other newer laptop, and vice versa, but...I get it. smile

Re; posting so many times in a row. lol If you're worried about that you're in the wrong place. We're easy. cool

Say i boot off the newer laptop then, which too has mavericks, what should i test then? Just see if it runs fine or plug it to the TV and try playing a movie?

Also some forums are pretty strict about posting many times in a row and require to edit the last post always, but its cool if you guys are easy on that :P

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623631 10/14/14 02:29 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Say i boot off the newer laptop then, which too has mavericks, what should i test then? Just see if it runs fine or plug it to the TV and try playing a movie?
Put the new one (yours right?) into Target Disk Mode, T key at startup, it turns your computer into an external HD. Run a thunderbolt cable between them, reboot the old one while holding down Option key to get to the startup disk screen. Choose the HD for the new one. If both HDs are named the same the TDM icon (in this case the new machine) should be yellow or something, different from the standard HD icon.

You will be booting from your system/software off of the old one's hardware.

Connect the old one to the TV and see if it can play the video okay. If it does, nothing is wrong with your operating system since that is what you are booted off of, it's something in the hardware on the new one. Not necessarily broken but maybe a driver glitch. The video cards are entirely different in those models. What's odd is it plays okay for a bit, then like NG4 mentioned, it seems like one color channel drops out.

You can do the opposite, put the old one into TDM and boot from that OS off of your newer hardware. If it glitches off of your hardware and the old one's system/software, back to what I said about the vid card above.

BTW to get out of TDM, shut the booted computer down, then hit the power button on the TDM computer.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623726 10/16/14 12:34 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Put the new one (yours right?) into Target Disk Mode, T key at startup, it turns your computer into an external HD. Run a thunderbolt cable between them, reboot the old one while holding down Option key to get to the startup disk screen. Choose the HD for the new one. If both HDs are named the same the TDM icon (in this case the new machine) should be yellow or something, different from the standard HD icon.

You will be booting from your system/software off of the old one's hardware.

Connect the old one to the TV and see if it can play the video okay. If it does, nothing is wrong with your operating system since that is what you are booted off of, it's something in the hardware on the new one. Not necessarily broken but maybe a driver glitch. The video cards are entirely different in those models. What's odd is it plays okay for a bit, then like NG4 mentioned, it seems like one color channel drops out.

You can do the opposite, put the old one into TDM and boot from that OS off of your newer hardware. If it glitches off of your hardware and the old one's system/software, back to what I said about the vid card above.

BTW to get out of TDM, shut the booted computer down, then hit the power button on the TDM computer.

I appreciate the detailed explanation, but I don't have a thunderbolt cable atm, soooo it might take some time to find somebody from whom I could borrow a cable maybe.

But until that, I'm going to try a full format on the weekend to see if that changes anything.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623736 10/16/14 02:38 AM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Yeah, they're pricey here too. $22-30 US.

I think you said there's nothing on the laptop you need so might as well try it fresh, or you could install to an external if you don't want to lose what's on the internal.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623829 10/18/14 01:16 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Ok, so i did a full format and installed Yosemite, still the same problem, however i've noticed one thing, its that when the colors get messed up, they sometimes go back to normal after some random time again, sometimes several seconds, sometimes a few to several minutes.

It also does it with twitch streams for example

Should i go get it replaced?

Last edited by villur; 10/18/14 01:52 AM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623834 10/18/14 11:42 AM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Make a video so the Apple guy can see what it is doing.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623836 10/18/14 02:51 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
It may have got lost in the shuffle of posts, I know you've tried different cables etc., but does it do the same on any TV also?

If it does the same on another TV and since you did a clean install of a totally different operating system I'd say it pretty much points to a hardware problem.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: NucleusG4] #623842 10/18/14 05:50 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Make a video so the Apple guy can see what it is doing.

Good idea!
It may have got lost in the shuffle of posts, I know you've tried different cables etc., but does it do the same on any TV also?

If it does the same on another TV and since you did a clean install of a totally different operating system I'd say it pretty much points to a hardware problem.

No i haven't tested different TVs, I'll try to get that done asap

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623844 10/18/14 08:26 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
BTW, if it works on another TV I'm not saying that there is something wrong with the first TV, it may be some obscure incompatibility.

For example, below is a link to a long thread about the same problem. It starts out with AppleTV problems but involves different MacBook Pros too. It seems you're not the only one experiencing this. It's been going on for 4 years.

Check out the post from Munas in the link below.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2600405?start=945&tstart=0

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624287 11/03/14 06:24 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
After quite some time, i got to test my mbp on another TV where it worked flawlessly. I couldn't test for more than 1 hour but i think it was sufficient enough. So i guess it might be my TV? I've gone through all the TVs settings to get a clue what might be causing that but no luck, i've also turned off every setting that artificially tries to make the picture better aswell.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624296 11/03/14 10:24 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Very strange indeed.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624297 11/03/14 10:30 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
What make/model TV do you have?

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624327 11/04/14 10:29 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
A philips 42PFL5604H i also believe i have the latest firmware, but i'll try upgrading/updating that too tomorrow

heres a link, seems its hard to copy stuff from there :S

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpind...=GB&slg=ENG

Last edited by villur; 11/04/14 10:31 PM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624328 11/04/14 10:56 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Check this out. You're not alone with Philips/Sony TVs.

It gives a possible fix on down the page. It involves adding a file and deleting some.

Same here, no answer it just turns into a pissing match, but again shows you're not alone.

Doing a Google using 'mac os x philips tv hdmi color' seems like it gave a lot of the same problem. Could probably substitute Sony for Philips.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624579 11/11/14 02:49 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
So i found someone with the same TV and similar problem from this thread. He had a problem where ATI drivers and the TV were conflicting

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/lcd-tvs-screen-turns-green-when-connected-to-pc.139520/

A few posts down someone posted a solution and it worked for him. Too bad mac users don't get any control over their driver settings. Someone said that the current color profile he was using wasn't supported by the TV but like i mentioned, I've tried all the color profiles on the mac and still the same thing.

Having now tested my mac on 2 other screens I can certainly say that its my TV and the drivers conflicting.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624581 11/11/14 03:27 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
At least you have an answer now. cool

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #624632 11/12/14 01:58 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I have an answer but at this point I don't know what to do next, I feel like I'm out of options

Last edited by villur; 11/12/14 01:59 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Acumowchek