Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623579 10/13/14 12:00 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Also, if it plays fine on windows, shouldn't that mean that its def a driver issue since hardware is the same but drivers are different i assume? I need to do some further testing to be 100% sure tho. Would a full format help me? I don't have any valuable docs or files on the laptop atm so its no big deal, but would it help laugh?

(It wouldn't let me edit the last post, so apologies for just me posting many times in a row)

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623585 10/13/14 02:41 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: villur
Also, if it plays fine on windows, shouldn't that mean that its def a driver issue since hardware is the same but drivers are different i assume?
From what you told me you can't boot the old and new laptop from the other's OS. New won't do Lion, old won't do Mavericks so that's out.

In order of difficulty;

Trying it in windows may tell. It does involve a lengthy process to get there though.

You could always install a new OS on an external drive just to test then you wouldn't have to mess with the internal on the laptop.

The easiest thing of course would be to boot your hard drive off of the other newer laptop, and vice versa, but...I get it. smile

Re; posting so many times in a row. lol If you're worried about that you're in the wrong place. We're easy. cool

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623591 10/13/14 08:44 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted By: Jim_
Also, if it plays fine on windows, shouldn't that mean that its def a driver issue since hardware is the same but drivers are different i assume?
From what you told me you can't boot the old and new laptop from the other's OS. New won't do Lion, old won't do Mavericks so that's out.

In order of difficulty;

Trying it in windows may tell. It does involve a lengthy process to get there though.

You could always install a new OS on an external drive just to test then you wouldn't have to mess with the internal on the laptop.

The easiest thing of course would be to boot your hard drive off of the other newer laptop, and vice versa, but...I get it. smile

Re; posting so many times in a row. lol If you're worried about that you're in the wrong place. We're easy. cool

Say i boot off the newer laptop then, which too has mavericks, what should i test then? Just see if it runs fine or plug it to the TV and try playing a movie?

Also some forums are pretty strict about posting many times in a row and require to edit the last post always, but its cool if you guys are easy on that :P

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623631 10/14/14 02:29 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Say i boot off the newer laptop then, which too has mavericks, what should i test then? Just see if it runs fine or plug it to the TV and try playing a movie?
Put the new one (yours right?) into Target Disk Mode, T key at startup, it turns your computer into an external HD. Run a thunderbolt cable between them, reboot the old one while holding down Option key to get to the startup disk screen. Choose the HD for the new one. If both HDs are named the same the TDM icon (in this case the new machine) should be yellow or something, different from the standard HD icon.

You will be booting from your system/software off of the old one's hardware.

Connect the old one to the TV and see if it can play the video okay. If it does, nothing is wrong with your operating system since that is what you are booted off of, it's something in the hardware on the new one. Not necessarily broken but maybe a driver glitch. The video cards are entirely different in those models. What's odd is it plays okay for a bit, then like NG4 mentioned, it seems like one color channel drops out.

You can do the opposite, put the old one into TDM and boot from that OS off of your newer hardware. If it glitches off of your hardware and the old one's system/software, back to what I said about the vid card above.

BTW to get out of TDM, shut the booted computer down, then hit the power button on the TDM computer.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: Reboot] #623726 10/16/14 12:34 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Put the new one (yours right?) into Target Disk Mode, T key at startup, it turns your computer into an external HD. Run a thunderbolt cable between them, reboot the old one while holding down Option key to get to the startup disk screen. Choose the HD for the new one. If both HDs are named the same the TDM icon (in this case the new machine) should be yellow or something, different from the standard HD icon.

You will be booting from your system/software off of the old one's hardware.

Connect the old one to the TV and see if it can play the video okay. If it does, nothing is wrong with your operating system since that is what you are booted off of, it's something in the hardware on the new one. Not necessarily broken but maybe a driver glitch. The video cards are entirely different in those models. What's odd is it plays okay for a bit, then like NG4 mentioned, it seems like one color channel drops out.

You can do the opposite, put the old one into TDM and boot from that OS off of your newer hardware. If it glitches off of your hardware and the old one's system/software, back to what I said about the vid card above.

BTW to get out of TDM, shut the booted computer down, then hit the power button on the TDM computer.

I appreciate the detailed explanation, but I don't have a thunderbolt cable atm, soooo it might take some time to find somebody from whom I could borrow a cable maybe.

But until that, I'm going to try a full format on the weekend to see if that changes anything.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623736 10/16/14 02:38 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Yeah, they're pricey here too. $22-30 US.

I think you said there's nothing on the laptop you need so might as well try it fresh, or you could install to an external if you don't want to lose what's on the internal.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623829 10/18/14 01:16 AM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Ok, so i did a full format and installed Yosemite, still the same problem, however i've noticed one thing, its that when the colors get messed up, they sometimes go back to normal after some random time again, sometimes several seconds, sometimes a few to several minutes.

It also does it with twitch streams for example

Should i go get it replaced?

Last edited by villur; 10/18/14 01:52 AM.
Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623834 10/18/14 11:42 AM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Make a video so the Apple guy can see what it is doing.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: villur] #623836 10/18/14 02:51 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
It may have got lost in the shuffle of posts, I know you've tried different cables etc., but does it do the same on any TV also?

If it does the same on another TV and since you did a clean install of a totally different operating system I'd say it pretty much points to a hardware problem.

Re: HDMI green screen, discoloration (rMBP late 2013) [Re: NucleusG4] #623842 10/18/14 05:50 PM
V
villur Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Make a video so the Apple guy can see what it is doing.

Good idea!
It may have got lost in the shuffle of posts, I know you've tried different cables etc., but does it do the same on any TV also?

If it does the same on another TV and since you did a clean install of a totally different operating system I'd say it pretty much points to a hardware problem.

No i haven't tested different TVs, I'll try to get that done asap

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Acumowchek