Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DNS issues using wireless on OSX #622233 09/04/14 02:52 PM
W
whatthefucoidan Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We can't resolve internal DNS when using wireless on our macs. We're using two ASUS RT-N66U routers for wireless.

Strangely, we can manually assign the ips of the DNS servers in the dns page of the network configuration utility and ping them... but OSX doesn't seem to be using them for some reason.

I can ping google just fine and I can ping our dns servers via ip BUT I CAN'T PING ANY INTERNAL ONLY DNS NAMES.

Ubuntu and Windows computers are able to connect and utilize dns just fine. All non-iphones work fine as well. Only the latest iphone 4s and 5 have issues connecting.

Thoughts? I've flushed dns and bounced the mDNSResponder... I'm lost and beginning to hate the latest apple tech out of pure frustration and inconsistencies.

Re: DNS issues using wireless on OSX [Re: whatthefucoidan] #622234 09/04/14 03:23 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Take all DNS entries out of Network preferences.

You don't mention if your external IP is Static or DHCP. If it's DHCP and you have entered any DNS servers in the router remove those entries too. If it's Static use the DNS servers your ISP recommends in the router.

Flush caches.

Also how do you have the routers configured since you're using two, do you just have them as APs or are they both being used as routers.

Also if you have the Firewall enabled on the Mac turn it off.

If it works after trying all of that, make changes one by one to your devices and test again.

Re: DNS issues using wireless on OSX [Re: whatthefucoidan] #622284 09/06/14 01:08 AM
MacBozo Offline
Nut Dood
Nut Dood
Double check the firmware version on the routers. Do that on the ASUS web site. I have a n56u that wasn't playing nicely until I updated its firmware. The router reported that it had the latest firmware, but that was not the case.

[Linked Image from dl.dropbox.com]

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot