Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Huh? [Re: Reboot] #586890 12/16/12 02:42 PM
steveg Offline OP
Making a new reply.
OP Offline
Making a new reply.
I'll run Font Doctor again and re-inspect my active fonts in Suitcase. But it's odd that this occurs only in Safari and only in my iCloud front page.

Re: Huh? [Re: steveg] #586896 12/16/12 03:40 PM
steveg Offline OP
Making a new reply.
OP Offline
Making a new reply.
Ran FD again. It found a couple of duplicates (none of which would be associated with a website), which I moved. Plus I emptied the font caches. Did this on both machines. The MBP only displays the garbled text in the log-out link at the top right, but the text below the icons is ok. On the Mini, all text except my name is garbled.

Safe mode clears it out, but another restart screws up the text all over again. So I'm convinced this has more to do with Safari than anything else.

Re: Huh? [Re: steveg] #586898 12/16/12 05:42 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Originally Posted By: steveg
I'll run Font Doctor again and re-inspect my active fonts in Suitcase. But it's odd that this occurs only in Safari and only in my iCloud front page.
Well you're odd too, but it's a Helvetica font conflict dood, I'm tellin' ya'.

Safe Boot not only clears font caches but it also turns off all non-Apple fonts, and stops third party stuff from loading, like Suitcase Fusion Core.

Set Suitcase to not start at startup, also see what fonts are located in Users/you/Library/Fonts and Library/Fonts. If there are any move them out, move them to folders so you can put them back if needed. Do a Safe Boot to clear caches. Reboot back to regular. See if the problem is still there. If so check in System/Library/Fonts and see if you have any non-Apple fonts in there. Make note of any Helveticas.

Download this, it will tell you what should be in System/Library/Fonts.

Here's a good linktoo. http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html It explains how to remove protected fonts, ones the great Apple deems necessary and replace them with your own versions

Do a search on that page for 'Removing Helvetica, Helvetica Neue and Helvetica Light', it will take you to the directions for removing the Helveticas permanently. It says Leopards, but the next section covers Lions.

BTW it may not be a conflict between Helveticas, it may be a Helvetica that you activate that is corrupt in some way. I know, you ran FontDoctor, but I've found that FD is not 100% reliable, and I have found it to break fonts that it says it fixed.

It may also be a Font ID number conflict. The system is trying to use Helvetica #123456 (ex.) but that is pointing to something else.

Peggy

Re: Huh? [Re: Reboot] #586900 12/16/12 06:44 PM
steveg Offline OP
Making a new reply.
OP Offline
Making a new reply.
There's a lot of chatter a/b Helvetica in most of the threads I've been reading. I don't have Suitcase as a log-in item (Fusion 4 doesn't need to be running in the background the way older versions did). But I did see several mentions of clicking the "Stop Type Core" button in Suitcase preferences.

Since I have very limited need of any of the Helveticas in my work fonts folder, I'm going to start by deleting those sets and see what happens after another safe boot sequence. Only if that doesn't help will I try messing around with the steps outlined in those two guides. But having once experienced how font problems can bring a system down, I'll take those steps only as a last resort.

Wish me luck...

Re: Huh? [Re: steveg] #586901 12/16/12 06:50 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Right, it's the Core that runs at startup, not the app itself.

Good Luck.

Re: Huh? [Re: Reboot] #586902 12/16/12 07:17 PM
steveg Offline OP
Making a new reply.
OP Offline
Making a new reply.
Who'd a thunk it? Seems to have worked. I didn't disable the Type Core, but I deleted all non-system Helvetica sets from Suitcase. Did the safe boot, which as we've already seen, works in the short term. The litmus test was to do a regular restart next, because that's when the problem returned. In fact, before restarting I opened up a few InDesign files to make sure all my needed fonts were loading including a file that needed Helvetica Nue and everything was ok. After the restart, the iCloud page text was as it should be in Safari (same as in Aurora and Chrome). Hopefully, I'll have the same result with the MBP.

Thanks for the guidance.

Re: Huh? [Re: steveg] #586907 12/16/12 08:03 PM
steveg Offline OP
Making a new reply.
OP Offline
Making a new reply.
Seems ok for now on the MBP. Will see if it sticks.

Re: Huh? [Re: steveg] #586909 12/16/12 08:50 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
Helvetica and HelveticaNue are both system fonts.

Re: Huh? [Re: steveg] #586910 12/16/12 08:55 PM
Reboot Online Content
Muhahahaha
Online Content
Muhahahaha
BTW. Whadda ya mean who'd a thunk? I told you what the problem was.

You doubt me? mad

grin

Re: Huh? [Re: Reboot] #586911 12/16/12 09:08 PM
steveg Offline OP
Making a new reply.
OP Offline
Making a new reply.
I know that. But I had other Helvetica fonts in my work fonts set. Nue with a bazillion variation from ultra thin to extra black and from ultra condensed to expanded. Plus another regular Helvetica and a Helvetica Condensed. Been schlepping these fonts from one system to the next for a dozen years. Those are the sets I deleted from Suitcase.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot