Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: g4 progect update [Re: geekdude] #526412 06/15/10 07:43 PM
geekdude Offline OP
n00b
OP Offline
n00b

finally got the window cut in the case. I am ashamed to say that for the moast part it was not me but my dad that cut it. I really need to work on my dremel skills its like a rite of passage in the computer mod world. I like how it turned out though. I just hope I got all the metal shavings out of there.

without all the stuff inside it was light enough for my cat to knock off the desk last night. It bent the case a bit and broke a handle but I found a replacement handle for 4$ on ebay. now I am deciding how I am going to mount the fans to the clear plastic hence the circles beneath the apple.

Re: g4 progect update [Re: geekdude] #527258 06/23/10 04:40 PM
geekdude Offline OP
n00b
OP Offline
n00b
I went over the case many times with a fine tooth brush, and then again with a rare earth magnet from a cd drive to get all the shavings out. Then I installed the fans But in the process put a big crack in the side panel. I will look for a cheap replacement while I search for a processor upgrade. If I find one I might also plan my hole positions better to make a design. as you can see only one fan lights up. I can fix that with extra leds but the fans are smelling kind of like a dead capacitor. I am wondering if I shouldn't just replace them alltogether. Ive never bought a new computer fan before, always had plenty from old computers I take apart. Maybe im smelling a type of a "new car smell"? I doubt it though.

also sence the fans are tilted the corner of one of the fans impinges on the harddrive. I plan on cutting the corner off but not until I double check the direction of the fan, because I wont be able to turn it around when I am done. Sometime I should properly roll the Ide cable for the cd drive where it goes in front of the fan and wire the fans to the original fan connector.

also I broke part off of the latch mechanism/plastic motherboard backplate because the case is harder to close since the cat knocked it on the floor. I can replace it with the original g4 one. The only thing is the sticker wont be blue.

Last edited by geekdude; 06/23/10 04:47 PM.
Re: g4 progect update [Re: geekdude] #571647 03/04/12 07:00 AM
geekdude Offline OP
n00b
OP Offline
n00b
so im interning at the local mac store and studying to be certified. They let me take home a quicksilver g4. They were going to throw it away anyways. the first thing I did was put the clear handles and shiny case screws on my old computer and its lookin nice

Next I tried swapping the whole motherboard tray/door but once I drilled out all the rivets I noticed that the quicksilver door wont fit the sawtooth case because it has one more pci slot which means the curve doesnt match the back. I tapped the holes and bought some screws and nuts and put both cases back together. oh well. now the door is detachable for easier access to the motherboard.

I am exploring my options.

A. use the quicksilver cpu on the sawtooth motherboard.
will require desoldering of the ide port and the board isn't as well designed as the quicksilver one for instance: heatsink is half gone to account for the cd drive.

B. modify the old tray/door to match the new motherboard.
some card slots wont be accessible. will have to redo the backplate

c. modify the quicksilver case to accept the old front plate. The only thing that would be quicksilver grey would be the back. clear the back caseparts and paint them with a transparent blue spraypaint I found

back wont match front.

D. just paint the quicksilver case translucent orange and white call it the tangerene quicksilver.

im not sure the translucent orange paint I found will look anywhere near as good as a tangerene imac. Also it wont match the studio display I plan on maybe repairing one of these days.

Last edited by geekdude; 03/04/12 07:07 AM.
Re: g4 progect update [Re: geekdude] #571650 03/04/12 07:38 AM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
I must say you are industrious. cool

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Acumowchek