Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . #562817 08/11/11 04:58 PM
DLC Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
As this approaches, I've been doing some reading and apparently iWeb and Apple's Web hosting will likely disappear. So what does any one recommend among those Mac Friendly Web Hosts touted??

Squarespace.com
Weebly.com
Cloversites.com
Jimdo.com

I looked at all of them and Weebly is Free but I don't know how any perform, and which has the best template pages.

Suggestions ?? grin

David (OFI)
Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: DLC] #562820 08/11/11 05:25 PM
six_of_one Offline
Pool Bar
Pool Bar
Good question. I have a site hosted on Mobile Me .Mac and I'm looking for a new host as well ...

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: six_of_one] #562823 08/11/11 05:51 PM
DLC Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
Sixer, I'm really disappointed they're abandoning this, I liked iWeb. Hopefully we can find something as easy. The Jimdo is $15 / month for the unlimited site. the Square site is $20...
I actually need more than the minimum.

Hopefully some experienced users will chime in. grin

David (OFI)
Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: DLC] #562826 08/11/11 06:40 PM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
Hi David,
It's my understanding we can still use iWeb, just publish to your favorite host.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: DLC] #562836 08/11/11 08:40 PM
Reboot Offline
Muhahahaha
Muhahahaha
Network Solutions. $9.29 a month, 300G disk space, unlimited transfer, 1000 emails, 25 FTP accounts. If you register and host with them for a year they waive the $35 a year registration fee.

Also check on their $10 per year privatized registration to keep spammers from harvesting your WHOIS info.

Tech support you can call, and during daytime business hours I rarely get "Peggy." Many hosts have only online or email support, like Dreamhost, yuck.

I have been with NS for 10 years at least. My email has been down probably less than 5 times during that time, and not for long. Their spam filters are top notch. Up until about 4 ? years ago I would receive spam on a daily basis. I turned off one email address it got so bad. I rarely get any now though. It's been months since I've seen any, even on the address that used to get spammed on a daily basis. I just checked and the last spam was April 25th. They "only" give 1G online storage per email account, some hosts give more, but 1G is a lot. I always bring mine down to the computer and have it deleted in a month.

https://www.networksolutions.com/web-hosting/hosting-package-comparison.jsp

Last edited by Reboot; 08/11/11 08:41 PM.
Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: Reboot] #562838 08/11/11 08:54 PM
DLC Offline OP
I invented modding!
OP Offline
I invented modding!
So I can put a Public FOlder there for students to download materials AND have an 'iWeb" like web site to post my lecture videos on??

Thanks in advance.

David (OFI)
Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: DLC] #562849 08/12/11 12:48 AM
Lea Offline
LoneStar
LoneStar

Little Sister and I use MobileMe, solely for the purpose of pushing large and critical work files back and forth. Neither one of us is remotely interested in clouds for posting videos of her cats stalking her or sharing pictures of my dogs stalking her cats. We just can't get excited about synching calenders, email and god knows what else all over the device ridden world.

I'm looking at DropBox. We just don't need (or want) the steekin' bells and whistles.

Ideas?

Whoa! I'm sorry David. It's been a looooong time since I've pulled a hijack. Apologies.

smile
LL

I always deserve it. Really.
Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: Lea] #562850 08/12/11 01:03 AM
MacBozo Offline
Nut Dood
Nut Dood
Originally Posted By: Lea

Little Sister and I use MobileMe, solely for the purpose of pushing large and critical work files back and forth. Neither one of us is remotely interested in clouds for posting videos of her cats stalking her or sharing pictures of my dogs stalking her cats. We just can't get excited about synching calenders, email and god knows what else all over the device ridden world.

I'm looking at DropBox. We just don't need (or want) the steekin' bells and whistles.

Ideas?

Whoa! I'm sorry David. It's been a looooong time since I've pulled a hijack. Apologies.

smile
LL

DropBox is excellent and you can control who has access to what. My choir director uses it to post scores and sound files so that we can rehearse at home when we need to.

[Linked Image from dl.dropbox.com]
Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: Lea] #562853 08/12/11 01:26 AM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
Not a hijack, we're all looking for the best alternatives.
I've been using DropBox for the last 3 months and loving it, but I will give iCloud a chance once it's up and running.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . [Re: Acumowchek] #562855 08/12/11 01:40 AM
MacBozo Offline
Nut Dood
Nut Dood
Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Not a hijack, we're all looking for the best alternatives.
I've been using DropBox for the last 3 months and loving it, but I will give iCloud a chance once it's up and running.
DropBox is not a web site host - just for file sharing as far as I can tell, which it does very well. I'll be giving iCloud a spin as well. We really don't know the extent of the features that iCloud will offer as yet. If it is simply file sharing/get your files anywhere-anytime from any device, then it will be a winnah!

[Linked Image from dl.dropbox.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot