Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Final Cut Pro X? #560558 06/28/11 10:45 PM
MacBozo Offline OP
Nut Dood
OP Offline
Nut Dood
What's the brouhaha all about? I haven't been following it.

[Linked Image from dl.dropbox.com]
Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: MacBozo] #560564 06/28/11 11:59 PM
carp Offline
Dino's are Babe magnets
Dino's are Babe magnets
I dunno
But I have read a compliant this morning (on the Headlines on Google News) from the movie industries about Final Cut X.

Now wish I clicked on it, just went back to Google it is now gone off that page.

Last edited by carp; 06/29/11 12:00 AM.

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: MacBozo] #560566 06/29/11 12:24 AM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
Apple dropped a lot of necessary "old school" functions.
They have pulled all Final Cut 7 software off the shelf.
Editors are complaining that it is iMovie "Pro", not Final Cut Pro.

Looks to me it will take a couple years to get back the same functionality as they have with the old Final Cut.

Lots of complaints, but can't say I blame the editors, regardless of the fact they can still use the old software. They will be kicking and screaming while being dragged into the future.

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: Acumowchek] #560593 06/29/11 03:02 PM
six_of_one Offline
Pool Bar
Pool Bar
Well, a (the?) huge issue is that the new FCP won't (and never will) read previous versions, so if you want to reuse/update a project made in FCP7, you're out of luck and have to start from scratch ... it also doesn't help that Apple has EOL'd FCS3 so you can no longer easily get the previous version ...

Also, in streamlining the interface Apple apparently lost many preferences, settings, export options and multiple-monitor support in this version, although they did just come out and say many of these will be addressed in a future version or when third-parties update their plug-ins/drivers.

But I think the biggest issue is that the new version isn't an update but a complete re-working of the program and philosophy behind it -- something for which Apple hadn't prepared the professional editing community. A big misstep there, it seems ...

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: six_of_one] #560594 06/29/11 03:15 PM
MacBozo Offline OP
Nut Dood
OP Offline
Nut Dood
Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Well, a (the?) huge issue is that the new FCP won't (and never will) read previous versions, so if you want to reuse/update a project made in FCP7, you're out of luck and have to start from scratch ... it also doesn't help that Apple has EOL'd FCS3 so you can no longer easily get the previous version ...

Also, in streamlining the interface Apple apparently lost many preferences, settings, export options and multiple-monitor support in this version, although they did just come out and say many of these will be addressed in a future version or when third-parties update their plug-ins/drivers.

But I think the biggest issue is that the new version isn't an update but a complete re-working of the program and philosophy behind it -- something for which Apple hadn't prepared the professional editing community. A big misstep there, it seems ...
So, folks are complaining now, but they can still use FCP 7 with Lion (which means that it will remain useable for a couple more years) while FCP X matures. Maybe Apple would have been better off calling this release a beta in order to inspire/promote further development. I'm still waiting for QT X to get the features that were/are available in QT Pro 7.

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: MacBozo] #560595 06/29/11 03:24 PM
Acumowchek Offline
Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?
Quote:
I'm still waiting for QT X to get the features that were/are available in QT Pro 7

And that, in a nutshell, is the big fear.
How long will it take?

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: MacBozo] #560596 06/29/11 03:25 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Apple Addresses Final Cut Pro X Outcry with FAQ Posting

Apple is attempting to do damage control over the flurry of negative comments on the company's new version of Final Cut Pro X video editing software. Apple posted a FAQ on its site that aims to address some of the concerns customers have raised so far, including a couple of straightforward "no" answers.

Final Cut Pro X was introduced last week as a major update to Apple's professional video editing suite, exclusively through the Mac App Store, for $299 (instead of the old suite price of $799). The new version introduced important changes in the way the software handles, ingests, encodes and manages video production workflow, among other features.

But video editors and other users did not take well to Apple's self-declared "jaw-dropping" updates. Negative reviews and one-star ratings started pouring in the Mac App Store (which Apple allegedly tried to remove), and even Conan O'Brien ripped into Apple's Final Cut Pro X on his show.

In answer "to the most common questions we've heard," Apple addressed the elephant in the room: Can I import projects from Final Cut Pro 7 into Final Cut Pro X? "There is no way to ‘translate' or bring in old projects without changing or losing data," says the Final Cut Pro X FAQ.

Apple is promising to add more features to the next iteration of Final Cut Pro, by saying "not yet." These include exporting XML from Final Cut Pro X, and support for OMF, AAF, and EDL exchange formats. Multicam editing is also on its way, "and we will provide great multicam support in the next major release," Apple said.

For now, users unhappy with the new Final Cut Pro X are reportedly receiving refunds for their Mac App Store purchase (though the refunds are only on request). The alternative is to keep on using Final Cut Pro 7 until Apple updates the software, or jump ship to Adobe, which is welcoming Final Cur Pro users with open arms.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/231373/apple_addresses_final_cut_pro_x_outcry_with_faq_posting.html

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: NucleusG4] #560598 06/29/11 03:30 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
Adobe welcomes Final Cut Pro users with open arms
By Jim Dalrymple

Apple has been dealing with some complaints from Final Cut Pro X users who feel the new application is not up to the professional level they’ve come to expect from the app. Not surprisingly, Adobe is stepping up to welcome those dissatisfied users to Premiere Pro.

Jim Guerard, Adobe vice president and general manager of professional video, recently posted a video highlighting some of the changes in the industry. Focusing on its business, Guerard noted a 22 percent year over year growth in Adobe pro video sales; 45 percent growth on Mac; growth from less than 1 million seats in 2006 to 2.3 million in 2010; and a 30 percent increase in unit sales from CS4 to CS5.
Adobe is also profiling former Final Cut users that have moved to Adobe. The latest, David Dessel, a New York director, cameraman and editor is profiled today on Adobe.com about his switch.

Adobe TV has a profile on cinematographer Shane Hurlbut, where he discusses how he switched to Premiere Pro to edit DSLR footage for the upcoming film Act of Valor.

The company has also created video tutorials and published documents to help Final Cut users make the switch to Adobe products.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/06/28/adobe-welcomes-final-cut-pro-users-with-open-arms/

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: MacBozo] #560599 06/29/11 03:56 PM
MacBozo Offline OP
Nut Dood
OP Offline
Nut Dood
Small Dog has posted a blog soliciting comments.

Re: Final Cut Pro X? [Re: MacBozo] #560604 06/29/11 06:29 PM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
LOL...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot