OP Offline
Muhahahaha
Glory be. Head out to the Apple Chapel.

Are we really that bad?

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions [Re: Reboot] #558145 05/20/11 05:05 AM
Ben Dover Offline
Colorectalogist Emeritus
Colorectalogist Emeritus
Well, it's just a potent mix of the underdog religious fervor with the rightful heir/whatever theme (well, maybe 'heir/whatever' isn't well chosen, but 'rightful' is the key operative word).

Company that basically invents mass market personal computing falls on hard times and escapes peril, death and all that sh!t, then kicks arse and assumes its rightful place.

It's the stuff of myth and religion. Apple's wielding Excalibur again (and with this streaming media bit, pretty much sewed up the corporate charters and coin of the realm bit). Duh!!!

What's so hard to understand about that? Great killer story - A classic - Timeless. Steve for the ages ( and well deserved, he earned it ). Steve's worth at least ten times every penny.

Ed

Fine! Ethel/Kate/Starmillway
Re: Apple fans' religious reactions [Re: Reboot] #558150 05/20/11 10:55 AM
NucleusG4 Offline
Master•Blaster
Master•Blaster
I would read it but I'm late for Mass in front of my iMac.....

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions [Re: NucleusG4] #558227 05/21/11 08:33 AM
lanovami Offline
This space for rent
This space for rent
Worshipping Mac was a lot more fun when half those around me on the train weren't people dinking with their iPhones.. I want an Idol I can really feel is my own..

We are what we repeatedly do - Aristotle
Re: Apple fans' religious reactions [Re: lanovami] #558229 05/21/11 11:02 AM
six_of_one Offline
Pool Bar
Pool Bar
Quote:
Are we really that bad?

There are degrees in everything ;-)

What I'm wondering is what makes what they're describing about an "Apple fanatic" (I'd love to see the selection criteria for that category ;-) different from any other kind of fan -- say an avid Red Sox fan or an avid Beatles fan (especially in the 60's!)?

As a side note, I can't help but think that if rabid fandom does stimulate the same part of the brain as does religion, that might be saying something more about religion than the other way around ;-)

[steps slowly away from the line sending this thread to the Soapbox ;-)]

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions [Re: Ben Dover] #558373 05/23/11 09:54 PM
carp Offline
Dino's are Babe magnets
Dino's are Babe magnets
Well, it's just a potent mix of the underdog religious fervor with the rightful heir/whatever theme

Right Ed, you hit the nail on the head.

Really the PC Whiny Crowed are really more devoted than the Mac people on any day and at any time, to the point they are vicious - just read any comments from any Mac product review on just about any web site..

Case in point, I was verbally assaulted, from a PC, IT person when I mentioned I owned a Mac - he said (Mac People are Stupid) laugh <-- that gives you an indication on how devoted they are to their PC's.

What we see today, IMO, is people excited about iPods, iPads and iPhones - not really about Macs per-say. Sorta its more about Apple the (Digital Life Style) not about Apple Computer.

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions [Re: carp] #558418 05/24/11 12:11 PM
EzyriderTX Offline
Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof
If we as Mac zealots have a rapture do we go to Cupertino?

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Reboot