According to the Wall St Journal the GOP gets more..... 37% would blame them while only 20% blame Dems. Too bad they don't offer "Both". BUT that could be in flux, depends on what happens in the next 2+ days.
This poll may be the thing pushing the more reasonable GOPers like Boehner... (yeah compared to Palin and Bachman, - he's moderate and sane !!
At CDC, we're preparing for the worst !! 10% will be "exempt" (essential), show up and work, and 90% furloughed. Won't be easy, but we'll weather through.
Republicans have been particularly critical of the EPA's actions, asserting that the agency overstepped its authority under the Clean Air Act by setting standards for greenhouse gases. Democrats have been mostly supportive of the EPA's actions and have accused Republicans of ignoring the science on global warming.
Let's just hope it isn't about sitting in the back of the plane again... Newt Gringich anyone. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Government Shutdown of 1995..
On November 14, major portions of the federal government became inoperative. The Clinton administration later released figures detailing the costs of the shutdown, which included losses of approximately $400 million in the form of payments to furloughed federal employees who did not report to work. The first budget shutdown was resolved with the passage of a temporary spending bill, but the underlying disagreement between Gingrich and Clinton was not resolved, resulting in the second shutdown.
The Republicans blamed Clinton for the shutdown, and Clinton blamed the Republicans. Public opinion favored the president; Clinton's approval rating fell precipitously during the shutdown, but once it had ended they rose to their highest since his election. The Republicans' support was further diminished two days later when Gingrich made a widely-reported complaint about being snubbed by Clinton; Tom DeLay called it "the mistake of [Gingrich's] life".
DeLay writes in his book No Retreat, No Surrender:
"He told a room full of reporters that he forced the shutdown because Clinton had rudely made him and Bob Dole sit at the back of Air Force One... Newt had been careless to say such a thing, and now the whole moral tone of the shutdown had been lost. What had been a noble battle for fiscal sanity began to look like the tirade of a spoiled child. The revolution, I can tell you, was never the same."
Gingrich's complaint gave rise to the perception of his behaving in a petty egotistical manner, and Clinton defended the seating arrangement as a courtesy to Gingrich, the back of the plane being closer to his pickup car. Later, the polls suggested that the event badly damaged Gingrich politically.
The shutdown also influenced the 1996 presidential election. Bob Dole, the Senate Majority Leader, was running for president in 1996. Because of his need to campaign, Dole wanted to solve the budget crisis in January 1996 despite the willingness of other Republicans to continue the shutdown unless their demands were met. In particular, as Gingrich and Dole had been seen as potential rivals for the 1996 presidential nomination, they had a tense working relationship. The shutdown also has been cited as having a role in Clinton's successful re-election in 1996.
"If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard-line, unreasonable, totalitarian mullahs in the world but not with Republicans? Maybe he’s not the problem."
Apparently the 2 sides have reached agreement on the amounts of cuts... the last sticking point is ideology about Title 10 funding for women's clinics... has NOTHING to do with budget because it's a very small amount of $. It's all about denying service to women because about 2% of Planned Parenthood and 4500 other clinics activities (NOT federal funding- that's illegal) involve abortions. Ignore the other 98% good service they do, they're saying NO because they disagree with a LEGAL option for women.
IF this is as clear cut as they say, I hope the GOP gets nailed.
The GOP is always for the rich and big corporations never the poor or the middle class.Both sides were acting like a bunch if kids in a candy store who get s more or less candies. Both sides have to grow up now.
Xplain's use of MacNews, AppleCentral and AppleExpo are not affiliated with Apple, Inc. MacTech is a registered trademark of Xplain Corporation. AppleCentral, MacNews, Xplain, "The journal of Apple technology", Apple Expo, Explain It, MacDev, MacDev-1, THINK Reference, NetProfessional, MacTech Central, MacTech Domains, MacForge, and the MacTutorMan are trademarks or service marks of Xplain Corp. Sprocket is a registered trademark of eSprocket Corp. Other trademarks and copyrights appearing in this printing or software remain the property of their respective holders.
All contents are Copyright 1984-2010 by Xplain Corporation. All rights reserved. Theme designed by Icreon.