Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Originally Posted By: Antonio
How will the motherboards cost less? This is a hackintosh, he wants to run OS X- he's going to be limited by what he can actually use, much more than by cost.

LGA 1156 boards are generally cheaper than 1366 boards. Of course there are plenty of 1156 boards more expensive, all depends on what goodies are included.

As for tests, I've seen plenty of reviews showing the 860 is faster out of the box (notice I don't mention overclocking) than the 920, plus it's more energy efficient which is always a good thing. Of course, as you mention it's a hackintosh, so compatibility is more important, and the prices are going to be pretty close anyway. Hyperthreading is too overrated to even be a consideration IMO, but the

I'm not going to beat a dead horse here...

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Also the 920's are being phased out, new chips are going the way of the 860's design.

This is based on what, exactly? There have been rumors of the 920 being phased out before. This shouldn't be surprising- all components have an EOL. BTW, this time around, it's in preparation to release the 930- which isn't based on the 860. Revisions come, revisions go. Also, it's normal that the more beneficial attributes of a component's design are incorporated in future components. This will likely be true of both the 860 and 920... not that it has anything to do with what I'd build now.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the 860 is a fine and very capable chip. But for the cost comparison, I'd opt for the 920. (I've noticed that folks tend to be die-hard toward one or the other model processor.)

Website Facebook Twitter House of Hackers