The main problem is that the kind of counselling that some of these people need is simply not available at the moment, because it's expensive to provide, and therefore never high on any penal system's priority list - which these days is just about trying to cope with 'managing' the high number of inmates on not enough funds.

It's pretty similar in mental health generally - patients who would benefit from therapeutic input just get 'managed' instead because there's not enough money in the system to provide the necessary staff and expertise hours.

I'm really railing against fate here, because I've read the evidence that extraordinary transformations are possible given the right circumstances and input, and I know that the way our system is set up, those circumstances are hardly ever provided except in pioneering research programmes.

Some people may never be 'ready to be released' but that doesn't mean you can't help them to become better and happier people anyway, and I believe that's one of the purposes prison should serve.