Hi. I am having a lot of problems publishing web sites with Quicktime movies. I have no idea what is going wrong.
First, I created a Keynote presentation of five slides and exported it as a quicktime movie. I then used Rapidweaver to create a small site using a page that had the quicktime movie in it. The movie played fine within Rapidweaver. When I published it onto my web server (verizon), it played fine there too.
Then I updated the site in Rapidweaver and republished it on the verizon server. Now, the quicktime movie was not found on the server, even though Rapidweaver had uploaded the movie to the verizon server again. Over the next day, I changed the site, including the quicktime movie, a number of times. After uploading to verizon, sometimes the quicktime movie would play. But in most cases it would not play. It seemed like whether it worked or not was totally random.
In a few cases, the changes I made were almost nothing at all. For instance, I changed a little typing in the page that contained the quicktime movie. Then I uploaded the site again and the quicktime movie stopped playing on the verizon server.
I tried changing the quicktime movie to see if the movie I was using might be the problem. The second movie was not made in Keynote. However, I had the same problem with the second movie too.
Also, I am using the latest version of Rapidweaver (4.2.2) and the latest version of OS X 10.5.6.
I contacted Rapidweaver's support (at Realmac Software). They gave me some suggestions that didn't work. For instance, making sure the movie had the .mov extension.
The reason I am posting this message here instead of again sending it to Rapidweaver tech support is the following:
I was very frustrated and decided to try posting the site with IWeb 08 just to see if it would work. I created a similar two-page site in IWeb. The movie played fine within IWeb. Then I published it on the verizon web server. The site worked initially and the quicktime movie played properly. Then I made some minor changes and published the site again and verizon was unable to find the movie this time. So, the problem with publishing and playing quicktime movies is obviously not just with Rapidweaver.
I also uploaded the quicktime movie by itself to the verizon server. When I accessed it via my web browser, it worked. I did it with a second movie and it worked again. So somehow the movie is playing fine by itself but not in a web page.
I signed up with a free hosting service to get some web space on a different server from verizon to try to publish the web site there to see if the problem might be with the verizon server. My Iweb site did not work there either--the quicktime movie was not found. I uploaded the Rapidweaver site too and the quicktime movie didn't play there either.
I therefore have no idea what is going wrong. I have published flash movies on the sites with no problem. The problem seems to only be with the quicktime movies. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
When you make the change to the movie do rename it? If so make sure you empty your browser cache before loading the page, or do a reload on the page. If you are renaming it, but your browser doesn't see that the page has changed, it may be trying to load the old movie which is no longer there.
Rapidsh!tter... it's a nice app for quickie sites, but I found it to be a royal pain in the butt for anything beyond text and simple photo blogging using the built-in templates. The only app worse is iWeb.
Have you tried creating a standard HTML page with RapidWeaver and adding the movie that way, rather than using the templated video post pages? I'm curious. Also try uploading the video all by itself to the server and then viewing the movie directly in your browser like so:
_________________________ The Graphic Mac- Tips, reviews & more on all things OSX & graphic design.
I got a little more insight today about the problem I am having.
I saved my IWeb site on my Mac's desktop. I then uploaded the folder to my verizon server using Fetch.
I watched as Fetch said it successfully uploaded the quicktime movie to the verizon server.
After Fetch finished uploading all the files for the site, I looked in the Media folder on the verizon server where the quicktime file was supposedly uploaded. However, the movie was not there, even though Fetch had indicated that the file had been uploaded.
I double-checked by looking at the IWeb folder on my Desktop. The Media folder did contain the quicktime movie there.
So for some reason, the movie file was not really uploaded. The same thing must be happening with Rapidweaver.
I then used Fetch to upload just the quicktime movie to the Media folder on the verizon server. This time the movie was successfully uploaded into the Media folder and when I accessed the site via my web browser, the movie played fine.
The problem is thus occurring both when I use fetch for my IWeb site and also when I publish via Rapidweaver. Somehow I can upload the movie individually but not when it's been uploaded as part of a site. I just don't know yet what the common denominator is that is causing the problems.
Xplain's use of MacNews, AppleCentral and AppleExpo are not affiliated with Apple, Inc. MacTech is a registered trademark of Xplain Corporation. AppleCentral, MacNews, Xplain, "The journal of Apple technology", Apple Expo, Explain It, MacDev, MacDev-1, THINK Reference, NetProfessional, MacTech Central, MacTech Domains, MacForge, and the MacTutorMan are trademarks or service marks of Xplain Corp. Sprocket is a registered trademark of eSprocket Corp. Other trademarks and copyrights appearing in this printing or software remain the property of their respective holders.
All contents are Copyright 1984-2010 by Xplain Corporation. All rights reserved. Theme designed by Icreon.