Wright weighs in more than a year ago . . . but very relevant to today: <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/27/flashback-wrights-lette_n_93820.html">link here</a> and a snippet:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I talked about how rare it was to meet a man whose Christianity was not just "in word only." I talked about Barack being a person who lived his faith and did not argue his faith. I talked about Barack as a person who did not draw doctrinal lines in the sand nor consign other people to hell if they did not believe what he believed.<br><br>Out of a two-hour conversation with you about Barack's spiritual journey and my protesting to you that I had not shaped him nor formed him, that I had not mentored him or made him the man he was, even though I would love to take that credit, you did not print any of that. When I told you, using one of your own Jewish stories from the Hebrew Bible as to how God asked Moses, "What is that in your hand?," that Barack was like that when I met him. Barack had it "in his hand." Barack had in his grasp a uniqueness in terms of his spiritual development that one is hard put to find in the 21st century<p><hr></blockquote><p>keep in mind, Wright wrote that he didn't shape or help form Obama and he said this before he was ever a controversial figure.<br><br>but later in his NY Times letter to the editor, he goes on the attack against the NY Times and sounds a bit like John McCain trying to discredit the TImes:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Forgive me for having a momentary lapse. I forgot that The New York Times was leading the bandwagon in trumpeting why it is we should have gone into an illegal war. The New York Times became George Bush and the Republican Party's national "blog." The New York Times played a role in the outing of Valerie Plame. I do not know why I thought The New York Times had actually repented and was going to exhibit a different kind of behavior.<p><hr></blockquote><p>ooh that evil liberal NY Times even went after Obama and Rev. Wright. how dare them. <br><br>