I have a question about history and about the future. It is an overly simplified question but bear with me.<br><br>In recent history, why must the United States every 20 years or so, because of some grand scheme/cause go into a country much smaller and weaker than itself and inflict a huge human and economic cost on that country and treating the people there (however unintentionally) like guinea pigs for it's grand schemes, then leave with it's tail between it's legs, and the country it invaded in disarray and suffering with no problems solved and more created? (Yes, maybe, maybe, Iraq will turn out somehow, but history is against it).<br><br>Is this the historical mandate that has been given to the US? And why are people so glib about it (including me?) And why have so many countries of the world largely forgiven these transgressions?<br><br>I'll probably regret this post, but screw it. A few years ago, I saw George Carlin on the tube and he put it more succintly than I could, "Why, every 20 years or so, do we feel the need to put huge holes in other countries?" or something like that. Nobody was laughing when he said it, if I remember.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle