Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
FileSharing Won't Start! #2397 09/04/01 05:20 AM
bdog Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I don't know why, but filesharing won't start. I tell it to start, and it says "starting up", but that's as far as it gets. I've let it sit there about five minutes, and then I gave up. I was using 9.1, and had the problem, but I hoped that 9.2.1 would fix it and no go still! Here is what I've done: <br><br>1. Updated from 9.1 to 9.2.1 <br>2. Deleted "Appleshare PDS" (invisible file, root level of HD, 152k) <br>3. Deleted: file sharing cp prefs, some other folder in the prefs called "file sharing" and "appleshare prep". Also, the "volumesettingsfolder". <br>4. I have tried it in "Mac OS 9.2 All" extensions set. <br>5. Zapped PRAM, rebuilt desktop. <br><br>I'm at a loss here, if anyone can help, you are already thanked! <br>iBook (duel USB) filesharing via ethernet. <br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

--------------------------
John Bailey ([red]Bdog[/red])

Email Me! ---> Bdog111@mac.com
Re: FileSharing Won't Start! [Re: bdog] #2398 09/04/01 02:40 PM
yoyo52 Offline
Nothing comes of nothing.
Nothing comes of nothing.
I copied the following from a posting that John Engler put up when 9.21 came out:<br><br>FileSharing over IP<br>If you are experiencing one or more of the following problems while using FileSharing over IP:<br> long delays in waking your system when changing networks <br> long delays on Startup or Shut Down<br> long delays when starting or stopping File Sharing<br>use the Extensions Manager Control Panel to disable the SLPPlugin extension.<br><br>I know you didn't mention file sharing over TCP/IP, but maybe disabling the extension will help. Good luck.<br><br>[edit] Also, you might try starting file sharing from the CP rather than from the CS. There are times when the CS will take forever but the CP will start it up fairly quickly.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 09/04/01 10:41 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

MACTECH ubi dolor ibi digitus
Re: FileSharing Won't Start! [Re: yoyo52] #2399 09/06/01 03:56 AM
bdog Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I fixed it! Here is what happened!<br><br>I turned on filesharing, and was prepared to let it sit for an hour, then give up. After 5 minutes, I went back to check on it, and saw that it had started, and as I was reaching for the trackpad, the FileSharing Control Panel crashed with a type 3 error. Then the finder started to crash, and then the cursor stopped moving.<br><br>I rebooted, and walked away (I take 3 minutes to reboot) and when I came back, filesharing was on! I opened the FS Control Panel, and stopped it, then started it, and it took only 2 seconds to start again! And now it only takes two seconds, weather I use the FS CP or the CSM to start it! This is the fasted filesharing start that I have ever seen! I hope it crashes for all of you with slow filesharing startups :-)<br><br>The lesson here: Sometimes a crash CAN be a good thing!<br><br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

--------------------------
John Bailey ([red]Bdog[/red])

Email Me! ---> Bdog111@mac.com

Moderated by  Acumowchek