Come to town, serve your time, then get outta dodge.....<br><br><br><br>Cheney: 'I will not run' for president<br><br><br>WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Vice President Dick Cheney Sunday categorically ruled out a run for the White House in 2008, even if asked by the Republican president who recruited him back into government.<br><br>"I will say just as hard as I possibly know how to say ... 'If nominated, I will not run,' 'If elected, I will not serve,' or not only no, but 'Hell no,' " Cheney told "Fox News Sunday," making clear he intends to retire from politics at the end of his current term.<br><br>"... I've got my plans laid out. I'm going to serve this president for the next four years, and then I'm out of here."<br><br>The 64-year-old Cheney came back from the lucrative life of a corporate chief to be President Bush's running mate despite a history of heart trouble, including a fourth heart attack shortly after the contested presidential election in November 2000.<br><br>But he said even Bush could not persuade him to change the decision he made 10 years ago not to seek the presidency.<br><br>"I didn't want to do those things I'd have to do," Cheney said, adding that it had made his current job much easier to be freed from personal political ambition.<br><br>"I think primarily that's because I'm not worried about what the precinct committeemen in Ottumwa, Iowa, are going to think about me in January of '08," he said of one of the states where the U.S. presidential process gets under way.<br><br>And he noted that by 2009 he would be 68.<br><br>"I've still got a lot of rivers I'd like to fish and time I'd like to spend with my grandkids, and so this is my last tour. I don't plan to run for anything," Cheney said.<br><br>He began as President Gerald Ford's White House chief of staff in the mid-1970s and served 10 years as Wyoming's only congressman before becoming secretary of defense under Bush's father, former President George Bush.<br><br>After many years of friendship with the Bush family, the younger Bush tapped the unfailingly loyal and discreet Cheney to head his vice presidential search, then decided Cheney was the best candidate.<br><br>Two years after leaving the government in 1993, Cheney became CEO of Halliburton, a Houston oil field services and engineering and construction company that caused him some heartburn on the 2004 campaign trail.<br><br>Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.<br><br>