Hop To
PrintToPDF #2119 07/30/01 04:15 AM
S
siletz Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
I thought I would give it a try, so did the download and followed the instructions. Everything went fine (follow the pdf instructions)<br> So far I have converted several documents, emails and photos to pdf format with a considerable saving of drive space. Typically 40-60 %.<br> At $20 shareware, it certainly beats $400 from Acrobat.<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out

Re: PrintToPDF [Re: siletz] #2120 07/30/01 01:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bear in mind that you don't actually convert a photo (raster) file to PDF, you just embed a jpeg version of the photo in a PDF file. What this means is that the photo is changed, since jpeg is a destructive compression method (some information is lost.) You would save even more space by simply converting the file in question directly to jpeg, which should give you more control over how much compression to apply. Since you would not have the PDF overhead, the file ought to be smaller, given a similar amount of compression.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: PrintToPDF #2121 07/30/01 03:48 PM
S
siletz Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
In actuality John, I had compressed several pixs in jpeg format and found that converting them to pdf saved even more drive space as my previous post indicated. True that some quality was lost, but the pixs in question were of an informational nature and not competition material. As far as documents were concerned, I feel that the approx 50% space saving was well worth the shareware price.<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out

Re: PrintToPDF [Re: siletz] #2122 07/30/01 10:11 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
I've loved Print-to-PDF since I stumbled upon it a year ago:<br><br>http://review.macnn.com/reviews/printtopdf/printtopdf.shtml<br><br>What I like about it more than anything, is that it cheaply gives you the ability to send a professional document to someone, and 1) know that they can read it, unless they're an idiot and don't know how to install Acrobat Reader and 2) know that they can't alter the document unless they are a true computer power user and know how to get the most out of an expensive Acrobat product.<br><br>Yes, it saves size most of the time, but when used with complex graphic documents, it'll actually make PDF's larger than the real files. Don't use it to save size use it to save yourself time and money. Make copies of all of your documents in PDF format, so that you'll know that you sent that version to the client... even after you make changes to the word document for example, you will still have the original to compare to your word doc.<br><br>Also, it's cheap, and James Walker is a great guy in my opinion.<br><br>Just my thoughts...<br><br>John<br><br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie

Moderated by  Acumowchek