Holy crap, Stuffman, that is exactly the same software I had just installed! That's funny (not "ha ha") it did the same to you.<br><br>Thanks for the detailed steps. I have already taken care of it by now, but its good to know.<br><br><br>
>Perhaps you installed the same bum teaching software as I did (Pearson Prentice Hall's TestGen software). The problem seems to be two-fold: (1) with my own profile d<br><br>Unfortunately, I also have to use Testgen. I am going to have to use Opera instead, because I cannot get Firefox to work, even after all the fixes I have read here and at MozillaZine. :(<br><br>OS-X 10.3.7, Powerbook G4
Maybe you could try a more hardcore cleaning, deleting everything listed in my previous post in addition to everything in /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/. This will of course require you to reinstall Flash and all the other standard plugins, but maybe it's worth it to get that stuff off your system.<br><br>Also, perhaps you can try searching for TGEQ on your hard drive. Maybe files were put elsewhere because of your use of the programs. You should find all these files and get rid of them.<br><br>Basically, remove anything that could possibly save state w/r/t Firefox. This includes ~/Library/Firefox/, the system Internet plugins directory, the Firefox application itself, and maybe other places. (This last, unspecified set of locations of course probably being your particular problem).<br><br>Sorry, can't provide much more beyond this. Solving the problem requires creativity, in that you have to figure out every place Testgen wrote on your system and clean it out.<br><br>
Thanks to this thread which identified the problem of TestGen and its interaction with Firefox, and a *very* quick reply from Tamarack Software, which developed TestGen, there is a solution!<br><br>As requested, I've pasted it below:<br><br>[[[begin paste]]]<br><br>Hello Steve,<br><br>I apologize for the problem you are encountering with TestGen. The issue you described is a bug in the TestGen plugin v5.5. We have fixed the problem in the TestGen Plugin v6.0 release which I recommend you download from the Pearson website.<br><br>TestGen 5.5 accidentally corrupts the "pluginreg.dat" file that is used by Mozilla and FireFox to register plugins. To fix the problem you will need to delete this file. The browser will rebuild a fresh, uncorrupted file when it launches. Specifically:<br><br>(1) Quit all browsers.<br>(2) Go to the root of your system drive and navigate to "/Library/Mozilla/pluginreg.dat"<br>(3) Delete "pluginreg.dat".<br>(4) Launch FireFox.<br><br>Provided you use the TestGen Plugin v6.0 or later the "pluginreg.dat" file will no longer get corrupted.<br><br>I would appreciate it if you would post this information to the discussion group to help others in a similar situation. Thank you.<br><br>[[[end paste]]]<br><br>One correction -- the file to be deleted is <br>~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/pluginreg.dat<br><br>In order to get TestGen 6, you need an account at www.pearsoned.com<br><br>If you have one, go to this page:<br><br>http://wpslive.pearsoncmg.com/cmg_instructor_testgen_1/1,7835,737317,.html<br><br>Otherwise, you need to contact PearsonEd support or your sales rep.<br><br><br>I've tried it, and it works (I'm using Firefox right now, with TestGen open and running). Hope this helps everyone in the same boat!<br><br><br><br>
I also loaded the TestGen software and it also corrupted the "pluginreg.dat" which killed my Netscape which is by Mozilla. In the process of trying to find the problem I managed to mess up my Netscape Profile, which I have not been able to fully recover from. I found that you cannot just drag your Profile out of Library/Mozilla and then drag it back in. Some path information appears to have been lost in the process. <br><br>After reading this post I deleated everything having to do with TestGen and reloaded Netscape. The problem remained. Deleting the "pluginreg.dat" file did not help, since each new one created was corrupted. Only when I loaded the new TestGen 6.0 was the problem fixed. So, TestGen 5.5 corrupts what ever is creating the "pluginreg.dat" file, not just the file. I have now been advised that there may be an un-install that should be used to get rid of TestGen5.5, rather than just deleting it.<br><br>
Xplain's use of MacNews, AppleCentral and AppleExpo are not affiliated with Apple, Inc. MacTech is a registered trademark of Xplain Corporation. AppleCentral, MacNews, Xplain, "The journal of Apple technology", Apple Expo, Explain It, MacDev, MacDev-1, THINK Reference, NetProfessional, MacTech Central, MacTech Domains, MacForge, and the MacTutorMan are trademarks or service marks of Xplain Corp. Sprocket is a registered trademark of eSprocket Corp. Other trademarks and copyrights appearing in this printing or software remain the property of their respective holders.
All contents are Copyright 1984-2010 by Xplain Corporation. All rights reserved. Theme designed by Icreon.