Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! #190729 09/09/04 11:48 PM
TheGreatDivide Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
And this is from Forbes mag... irony perhaps.<br><br>Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development <br>By Amanda Gardner<br>HealthDay Reporter <br><br><br>WEDNESDAY, Sept. 8 (HealthDayNews) -- The air in some parts of Southern California air is so dirty that it impedes the development of children's lungs.<br><br>By the time they are 18, many children who grow up in polluted areas have lungs that are underdeveloped and that will likely stay that way into adulthood, claims a study in the Sept. 9 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.<br><br>The findings are probably not confined to Southern California. "The pollutants that we studied are likely to be present in any urban environment. They are primarily products of fuel combustion," said study author James Gauderman, an associate professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California's Keck School of Medicine.<br><br>The years from 10 to 18 are critical ones when it comes to lung development. Girls have fully developed lungs by about the age of 18, while boy's lungs may take a few more years. Thereafter, lung function stays about the same for a short period, then starts declining slowly as the person ages.<br><br>This research, called the Children's Health Study, is the longest investigation to date into air pollution and its effect on kids' health.<br><br>For eight years between 1993 and 2001, researchers tracked the lung health of 1,759 children aged 10 to 18 and the levels of major pollutants in 12 California communities: Alpine, Atascadero, Lake Elsinore, Lake Arrowhead, Lancaster, Lompoc, Long Beach, Mira Loma, Riverside, San Dimas, Santa Maria and Upland. All were in the southern part of the state but Alpine County, which is in the Sierra Nevada range near San Francisco.<br><br><br>-----<br>When is mankind going to stop killing it's own?<br><br>[color:red]!sevaS trA</font color=red>

Re: Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! [Re: TheGreatDivide] #190730 09/09/04 11:50 PM
B
Bryan Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
And I know that you will be doing your part by stopping driving and giving away your car, not mowing your lawn and not using any electricity (depending on whether or not your electric company burns coal.)<br><br>Smog is a problem, but we all contribute. <br><br>

Re: Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! [Re: Bryan] #190731 09/10/04 12:19 AM
P
polymerase Offline
P
I've read a couple of blurbs on this study and it has some interesting additions to the common lore.<br><br> They tracked rich kids in affluent suburbs and smog effected them too. The effect has been seen in poor kids in the city for quite some time but poor health care crappy food etc. could not be ruled out. So smog cuts down on your lung efficiency no matter what.<br><br>The second thing was there was no "safe" level. A very linear thing. A little smog then a little effect but an effect just the same. A litter more smog then a little less lung capacity. <br><br>So the conclusion one could draw is that you cut the pollution in half and you gain back half of the loss. A 50% less chance you end up wheezing and dragging an oxygen tank around when you are older. Think about Bush allowing the old coal fired power plants to be continued to be renovated without grandfathering them out of existence. This should be a good thing to think about when you are older and wheezing in a hospital bed gasping for a breath.<br><br>No, we are not going to get rid of all the cars but improving cafe standards 30% will give you a few extra breaths. Actually not. The third interesting finding in the study was that all of the deleterious effects are garnered by the time you are 18. So it is too late for you (cough) but think about the kids.<br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

Re: Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! [Re: Bryan] #190732 09/10/04 01:30 AM
Trog Offline
Savior
Savior
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>nd I know that you will be doing your part by stopping driving and giving away your car, not mowing your lawn...<p><hr></blockquote><p>There is no need to give away your car to reduce smog. How about limiting driving, and mowing your lawn, not using excessive electricity, etc. <br><br>I know I do. ...and yes, I deserve a medal. <br><br>

Re: Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! [Re: Trog] #190733 09/10/04 01:35 AM
P
polymerase Offline
P
I use a battery operated mower. I know the electricity still needs to be genersated but there is a hundred times less polluting then a gas power. I also get to chat with my kids and the neighbors as they walk their dogs because it is really quite.<br><br>Sierra Club sent me a halo to wear while I mow. <br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

My Heroes! [Re: polymerase] #190734 09/10/04 01:50 AM
yoyo52 Offline
Nothing comes of nothing.
Nothing comes of nothing.
<br><br>

MACTECH ubi dolor ibi digitus
Re: Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! [Re: Trog] #190735 09/10/04 01:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What about rock tumblers?<br><br>

Re: Smog Impedes Kids' Lung Development, thanks! [Re: ] #190736 09/10/04 02:11 AM
Trog Offline
Savior
Savior
ummmm... I believe mine is solar powered. Yet another medal!<br><br>

Moderated by  Acumowchek, MacGizmo, Moderator, neil, Reboot