Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FTP client #1896 07/07/01 08:09 PM
sean Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
i just recommended some computers in an iMac lab where i will be teaching have Fetch put on them...then i found out that Fetch is on a new 15 day trial and we'll need an FTP client until december. does anyone know of any good (or average) free FTP clients for the macintosh? i know we can use IE, but it doesn't allow one to delete files remotely. i would hate to have to teach these students (who are k-12 teachers) that we have to use telnet and unix commands on a mac to delete files -- where is the simplicity of the mac? my ulterior motive is to get the teachers who use pc's to like macs. 1 school at a time is my motto.<br><br>i had originally ordered dreamweaver and was told that we do not have the funds this year. shucks! now i am scrambling to throw together a bunch of free tools to teach a web design class (it could be worse -- i could be teaching CAD without software). at least we will have photoshop (version 3 -- aauuugh! -- can you say graphic converter?). netscape composer is a leading contender for the WYSIWYG editor (still beats frontpage in the pc lab). i have also requested BBEdit lite. things won't be so bad...i just need the ability to FTP easily and i am all set. advice?<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: FTP client [Re: sean] #1897 07/07/01 08:40 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
interarchy works great<br><br>http://www.interarchy.com<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: FTP client [Re: johnengler] #1898 07/07/01 08:41 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
you might also try Transmit, it seems to be pretty solid, though I personally use Interarchy 99% of the time.<br><br>as an aside, you can also look at the various shareware WYSIWYG (sort of) programs that are out there... I think misha can compose a list for you - misha?<br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: FTP client [Re: johnengler] #1899 07/07/01 08:51 PM
sean Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Interarchy is licensed on a per-Mac basis. A single user license to Interarchy 4.x starts at only $35 -- my education site license is still over $200 (30 computers). i have exactly zero dollars allocated for this class. this class is at the bottom of the totem pole since it is not a required class for any graduate program. <br><br>i'll look into transmit. just did -- hmmm, it is free for the first 15 days. i suppose i will go with this. i just hope the IT people don't have a hissy about me requesting all of this shareware with no money to actually purchase any of it. oh well. i would if i could.<br><br>thanx!<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: FTP client [Re: sean] #1900 07/07/01 09:27 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
Interarchy should be shareware as well, and I know that you could email them about acedemic pricing... hell, maybe they'd donate the licenses to you. They're great guys, and it doesn't hurt to ask.<br><br>All of that shareware should work for a long time to come without actually paying for it. I know that sucks for the shareware folks, but they should be okay with that considering they're getting exposed to potential customers....<br><br>ask if you can get free licenses, or reduced licenses, and ask the students to pay for it... who knows... for $5, they could have a license to the software possibly?<br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: FTP client [Re: sean] #1901 07/07/01 11:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is what we did.<br><br>Fetch Free EDU Licensing<br><br>Oni<br><br>We got the Death Star, We got the Death Star.

Re: FTP client #1902 07/08/01 01:09 AM
sean Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
thanx oni. i am going to give that a go...it just seems so much more above the table. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: FTP client #1903 07/08/01 01:33 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
great call Oni, I really like to see that the new Fetch software owner is promoting education so well...<br><br>But, honestly, Sean, I think you can ask any shareware educational company, and probably a lot of commercial companies (adobe, macromedia) to grant you licenses... I mean they get to write it off as a donation anyways... and they might need to do that every so often...<br><br>all it takes is asking the right questions to the right people...<br><br>give it a shot... it can't hurt.<br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: FTP client [Re: johnengler] #1904 07/08/01 02:37 AM
sean Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
i am going to try this out with macromedia's dreamweaver this week. i need 20-30 copies. my hook is that these teachers will learn on dreamweaver and then take that knowledge back to their respective schools. it could be a coup for multiple site licenses at many school in west michigan -- plus, they might buy a copy for their home computers, etc. you're right, it doesn't hurt to try. thanks for the advice. i'll let people know how it works out.<br><br>i might even lie and tell them that go live is currently on the computers, but i would much rather teach dreamweaver. naw, no need to lie. ;-)<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: FTP client [Re: sean] #1905 07/08/01 03:42 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
I would definitely have to recommend against lieing.... it never seems to get you ahead if you know what I mean... I know that i've tried to stay away from lieing as much as I can, though I know I'll never be perfect - ok, enoug preaching...<br><br>Seriously though, I'd definitely recommend that you ask, and ask honestly. I'd also ask Adobe... you never know. I'd definitely recommend that you ask them for Photoshop upgrades... who knows, since you're teaching teachers, they might just extend you licenses for that lab for the time period that you're teaching the lab, instead of permenant licenses... <br><br>anyways... good luck with it, and if you don't get anywhere, let me know... I might know a few folks at Macromedia that might be able to help if you get stuck in a rut with them <br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by johnengler on 07/07/01 11:42 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Acumowchek