Hop To
Expo to be "Smaller"? #1855 07/02/01 05:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MacMinute says, "This year's Macworld Expo New York takes place July 18-20 and is already showing signs of being a smaller show than last year, as many companies struggle financially."<br><br>I don't know who wrote that or where they are getting their info but IDG World Expo has said that "that registration numbers are up for this summerís...Expo. More than 60,000 Mac enthusiasts are expected to attend the upcoming Macworld, with the conference program showing a 25% increase over last summerís event."<br>http://www.macworldexpo.com/user-content/Attendance_release.html<br><br>Doesn't sound like it's going to be a "smaller" Expo to me.<br><br><br>Listen to The Mac Show!<br>http://www.macshowlive.com

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? #1856 07/03/01 12:29 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
I don't know who you think you are "Macshow" but I think they mean that the show itself might be smaller (less exhibitors)... I guess they should have said that the exposition hall will be the same physical size, but will look less crowded with booths...<br><br>something like that <br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? [Re: johnengler] #1857 07/03/01 12:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
> I think they mean that the show itself might be smaller (less exhibitors)<br><br>I can confirm that IDG Expo has said there will be fewer exhibitors than last year in New York. Not many fewer though. While some "traditional" Mac vendors won't be there, they are being made up for to a small degree by companies who have never been at a Macworld Expo before.<br><br><br>Listen to The Mac Show!<br>http://www.macshowlive.com

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? #1858 07/03/01 12:39 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
yes, I agree... but the absence of that one big traditional exhibitor speaks volumes for how much shareholders control that company. that bohemoth will really start loosing marketshare to a fast nimble competitor like Macromedia, just like they've done with Quark, if they don't watch out, and get their collective asses in gear....<br><br>Just my opinion ...<br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? [Re: johnengler] #1859 07/03/01 12:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"but the absence of that one big traditional exhibitor speaks volumes for how much shareholders control that company."<br><br>I don't understand that point.<br> <br>"that bohemoth will really start loosing marketshare to a fast nimble competitor like Macromedia..."<br><br>Oh, I disagree strongly. Adobe will lose *none* of it's Photoshop market share. For the most part, it has no competition. As to apps like Illustrator, it's unlikely any Illustrator users will switch to Freehand under OS X simply to try it out.<br><br>And Macromedia won't have Dreamweaver ready for X until after Expo, just as Adobe won't have GoLive ready.<br><br>I think this was a purely tactical move on Adobe's part. We may not like it but they feel it's best for them. They don't have any OS X apps ready so why should they waste our time and their money by showing up to Macworld Expo?<br><br>Listen to The Mac Show!<br>http://www.macshowlive.com

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? #1860 07/03/01 01:07 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
macshow, what I mean by "they are a shareholder controlled company" is that they are having a hard time with profits right now, and thus they aren't coming to the show, only because they don't want to pay for it.... which is your conclusion as well, but at the same time, I think that they aren't coming to sort of "snub" their noses at Apple, for cutting into their bottom line, and making them develop a completely new program from the ground up, that worked perfectly under the old OS.<br><br>As to them not having any competitors, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to GIMP and http://www.macgimp.org/ and http://www.macgimp.com/<br><br>It's pretty powerful, and as soon as it's truly Mac OS native, will rock everyone's socks off... especially considering that it's very very cheap compared to Photoshop, and almost as good.<br><br>Cheers...<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? [Re: johnengler] #1861 07/03/01 01:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"...they are having a hard time with profits right now..."<br><br>I don't believe that for a second and neither does Macuser UK, as reported today:<br>"And Adobe's finances are much healthier than most other tech firms. Adobe achieved revenue of US $344.1 million, compared to $300.1 million reported for the second quarter of fiscal 2000 and $329 million reported in the first quarter of fiscal 2001. This represents a 15 percent year-over-year revenue growth, with application revenue growth of 19 percent."<br><br>Adobe's stated reasons for not having a booth at Expo are specious at best.<br><br>"As to them not having any competitors, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to GIMP...It's pretty powerful, and as soon as it's truly Mac OS native, will rock everyone's socks off..."<br><br>Well, as Mac users, we certainly know that just because something will "rock everyone's socks off" doesn't mean it will be the winner in the marketplace.<br><br>After all, GIMP has been around for years, it has always been powerful and has always been at a good price. But you don't see Mac Pros buying UNIX boxes to run it.<br><br>And I don't think you'll see Photoshop Pros turning their back on Photoshop to use GIMP.<br><br>Listen to The Mac Show!<br>http://www.macshowlive.com

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? #1862 07/03/01 01:52 AM
sean Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, I disagree strongly. Adobe will lose *none* of it's Photoshop market share. For the most part, it has no competition. As to apps like Illustrator, it's unlikely any Illustrator users will switch to Freehand under OS X simply to try it out.<br><br>actually, i have already switched from illustrator to freehand just so that i could have a native os x application. then again, i don't think the average mac user is going to switch to X as quickly. in fact, i still find myself using os 9.1 about 70% of the time. shucks!<br><br>point is...i have purchased freehand just because they had it ready first (and, i heard good things about it).<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? #1863 07/03/01 02:22 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
sha... woops...<br><br>you're always good for a good discourse.<br><br>From what I understand, Adobe is really pushing their "packages" software budles, which is where they're getting two things, market share, and profit, but the fact that they aren't out there doing big PR stunts like Macworld NY, with large booths showing small short demos of photoshop running under X as a beta/alpha/fake movie, whatever, then they have the potential to loose marketshare to whoever can do it.<br><br>i think that normal users won't upgrade to X, but everyone that's buying a new machine will upgrade to X by default. It's easier for them to install new X apps than to install older 9 apps, so if there is an X app out there that fills the need, and there is a free demo, then I have a feeling that the user will buy that X app before they buy an older 9 app.<br><br>And since the fact of the matter is that graphics pros for the most part will just run two or three machines, each tweaked to do what it does best... then it doesn't really matter how long it takes Adobe to get photoshop ready, but for those other apps that they sell in their "bundles" there is some stiff competition out there... <br><br>I think Steve J. was right when he said that whomever comes out with the X app first will have a leg up on their competition.<br><br>Look at Micromat, they're about to release the first true X based drive utility... that's huge, and people trust them, so they'll buy the software. Not because they need it, but because they won't realize that their old 9.04 based bootable CD of TTP3 or Norton will still do the job that they need, if they take care with it.<br><br>so... that's my thoughts... have I clarified anything, or just made my statements more confusing?<br><br><br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: Expo to be "Smaller"? [Re: johnengler] #1864 07/03/01 03:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"sha... woops..."<br><br>LOL There's no need to do that. For those who need/want to know, my name is Shawn King and I am the Host of The Mac Show, a Quicktime based "radio show" about all things Mac.<br><br>"you're always good for a good discourse."<br><br>Well, one does one's best with what little one has. :-)<br><br>"From what I understand, Adobe is really pushing their "packages" software budles, which is where they're getting two things, market share, and profit, but the fact that they aren't out there doing big PR stunts like Macworld NY, with large booths showing small short demos of photoshop running under X as a beta/alpha/fake movie, whatever, then they have the potential to loose marketshare to whoever can do it."<br><br>Oh, I agree with that point I just don't believe there is anyone out there, right now, who can take significant market share away from Adobe.<br><br>"i think that normal users won't upgrade to X, but everyone that's buying a new machine will upgrade to X by default."<br><br>Correction: Everyone buying a new machine right now will have OS X upgraded *for* them by Apple and not by their own choice. Even then, it's a trivial matter for a Photoshop Pro to boot into, and stay in, OS 9.x and do the work in the way that they are used to.<br><br>"It's easier for them to install new X apps than to install older 9 apps,"<br><br>No, it's not. Boot into 9.x and install away.<br><br>"so if there is an X app out there that fills the need, and there is a free demo, then I have a feeling that the user will buy that X app before they buy an older 9 app."<br><br>In general, I think you are correct. For the hobbyist, more so. But I'm talking about Adobe's core market - professionals. They are not going to "experiment" in a production, mission creitical environment.<br><br>"I think Steve J. was right when he said that whomever comes out with the X app first will have a leg up on their competition."<br><br>Only if that app fills a need better than what the user is presently using. If Macromedia brings out an OS X version of Dreamweaver that is crap, they do more damage to themselves than Adobe does by waiting to do it right the first time. Look at the huge mistake Adobe has made in the recent past with Premiere 5 (I've spoken to Adobe reps and they say that v6 is "An apology for v5") and with GoLive 4. Both apps stunk and cost Adobe mindshare if not marketshare.<br><br>Adobe is determined not to make the same mistake with their flagship product.<br><br><br>Listen to The Mac Show!<br>http://www.macshowlive.com

Moderated by  Acumowchek