<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Surprised to hear you buy into the 'French have delusions of grandeur' rhetoric. Max. \assume conversational not confrontational tone here :-) <p><hr></blockquote><p> No offense taken, deebee. I'm really just guessing here. I've never actually been to France, so you are right to take my comments with a grain of salt. I bear no animosity to the French, though - I think they're a remarkable people, actually. There's just so much post-war baggage swirling about, all these decades later... kind of clouds a lot of stuff, I think. But then again, I'm guessing you realize how much stock people can put in misconceptions.<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>My experience of the French is that they don't give a d@mn. Sure, they have/had their glorious history and efforts at empire, but the country with the biggest chip on its shoulder about its place in the world is the US, AFAIC. Ironic, no?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Perhaps it is as you say, that they don't give a damn about American culture, and rightly so - they're freakin' French! As for the States and its place in the world, you may be right... although I'm sure we both know that making sweeping statements about the national character of such-such country usually will land you in hot water somewhere along the line.<br>(:->))<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>To address yo-yo's Q, and with all the goodwill I can muster towards the US (whatever 'the US' is), I think this is just another manifestation of the 'my-way-or-the-highway' attitude. Time after time I hear defenders of US culture reach for the old 'well if it's so bad how come everyone wants to live here?' argument. Manifest Destiny, Leaders of the Free World, high watermark of civilization, greatest nation on Earth blah blah blah.<p><hr></blockquote><p> Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with this line of thinking...<br>(;->))<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So all this stuff about the French wanting Iraq to be a disaster, nurturing intellectualism and high culture, dismissing fast food as junk, etc etc - all to spite the US - is hilarious. Hey, USA - the world doesn't always revolve around you! LOL.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Agreed. And the French are preoccupied with their own domestic problems, not to mention calculating and recalculating their own influence in European matters, geopolitics, etc.<br><br>max<br>[color:red]EGG</font color=red><br>Moments & more