Page 1 of 2 1 2
I have sinned. #1796 06/29/01 12:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I did something I swore I'd never do.<br><br>I bought a peecee. I feel so dirty. <br><br>I'm having a Starband satellite modem system installed and there is no way to install the system other than through a Windows box. I've got to have broadband access for my work and this is the only solution. <br><br>I went to the local dead computer outlet and bought a used Dell for $200 to put Windows 98 on it. My God that's one ugly screen. <br>My last experience on a PC was a 286 model some 15 years ago - enough to convinvce me then and there that the Mac was light years ahead of DOS version 3. I expected great strides. Imagine my surprise when I tried to boot the machine and there was the same old DOS screen of 1985 telling me that the C: drive couldn't be found!<br>I had to dig deep into the recesses of my brain to remember DOS disk formatting command line syntax to even get the Windows CD to load!!<br>Boot from a floppy? Can't find the CD? Invalid commands? Abort?Retry?Fail? I thought this crap went out with Micheal Dukakis for President bumper stickers.<br><br>I had always thought tha Windows couldn't be as bad as I'd heard. I've had it one day and I can't believe how truly poor this machine really is. <br><br>

I forgive you. #1797 06/29/01 05:10 PM
KateSorensen Offline
77 and counting
77 and counting
Go and sin no more!<br><br>Serially though. Maybe some smarty-f_rty here can tell you how to use it as a server or whatever to get your Macintosh on the internet too. I have no idea if it can be done or if anyone has ever accomplished it -- but surely . . . .<br><br><br>Wouldn't that be something if sombebody knew how to do just that!<br><br>

Re: I forgive you. [Re: KateSorensen] #1798 06/29/01 06:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, I have the theory down pat as to what I need to do to use the PC as the hub of my LAN. <br><br>I think. <br>I have to get two pieces of software - WinProxy for the TCP/IP proxy host and PCMacLan so it'll speak AppleTalk over ethernet. MacWorld had a great article about hacking the system to make it a Mac only installation but you have to pry the cover off the modem and void the warranty. Once everything is in and up it'll take some software gymnastics but I shoulkd be able to use the PC as a router/gateway/firewall and access the Internet from my G4 and my Airported Pismo. It promises to be a fun install, thank goodness I have the weekend to get it up before I really need it on Monday!<br><br>The ONLY reason I bought the PC is in the faint hope that by not molesting the modem, I'll be able to exchange it when Starband finally does do Mac support. <br><br>

Satellite internet #1799 06/29/01 10:00 PM
KateSorensen Offline
77 and counting
77 and counting
It will be fun to read about your experiences. Hope all goes as well as possible over the weekend venture.<br><br>

Re: Satellite internet [Re: KateSorensen] #1800 06/30/01 12:15 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
Jholmes... you must live out on the other side of Azel or something... you can't get Charter or Earthlink DSL?<br><br>Argh... that really sucks... I feel for you man....<br><br>so, when are we going to get that beer?<br><br>What are you doing for the 3rd? Wanna meet us at the horseraces at Lonestar park?<br><br>heck, anyone else in the local area wanna meet there?<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: Satellite internet [Re: johnengler] #1801 06/30/01 01:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John - <br>I'm out with the livestock west of Aledo - go west till you smell it and south till you step in it. There we are. <br>No Charter. No DSL and now no rinky dink cable company trying to get into the cable modem biz. This may be my last post on the cable modem - the ISP is supposed to be going out of the biz today. My old standby FlashNet dialup account logs on at a max of 24.6 on good days with a V.90 - SWBell says the lines are just too dirty. So it's do the Norad ground control station bit. <br><br>I'd go to LoneStar on the 3rd but I'm headed to the Ballpark that night with a bunch of other freelancers. If that doesn't pan out I'll give a holler - I'm always up for a day at the races. My wife is a primo handicapper. She can land a trifecta box like you wouldn't believe. <br><br>As for the beer - Yes let's. I'm finally recovered from my knee surgery and I've had houseguests nonstop since May. Hopefully things are calming down and I'm truly ready to get out and do something! If I can't do the LoneStar deal Wednesday, maybe Friday night at the Saucer?<br><br>

Re: Satellite internet #1802 06/30/01 01:41 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
hmmm... I think the 3rd, is Tuesday isn't it? <br><br>but yes, if that doesn't work out... let me see if my wife is interested in going to the saucer... what a fun bar ;)<br><br><br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: Satellite internet [Re: johnengler] #1803 06/30/01 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duh . Yes It is Tuesday. Amazing things these calendars. Tuesday is the ballgame. If that get's canceled I'll send you an email. <br><br>

Re: Satellite internet #1804 06/30/01 04:22 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
it probably won't... but if it does... email me at work... (address should be in your personal messages shortlly)<br><br>also, I'm leaving work around 2:30 to get to the races and get a seat...<br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

Re: Satellite internet [Re: johnengler] #1805 07/02/01 01:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a mess this satellite deal is so far. <br><br>The installer came out Saturday morning and while he was here it began to rain cats and dogs. Since he didn't want to use his electric drill to punch big holes in my house in the rain. He bailed out and came back on Sunday. The physical installation went well and I now have the television end of the system working but still no internet access. <br>Man this dish is BIG. It isn't like the old 12 foot birdbaths, but the support system is enormous - a main 4 foot tall, 2-3/8" pipe support mast and two outriggers that attach 4 feet out on either side of the mast. Attached to that is the 3'x4' dish with an enormous head for the attenna transmitter. Next to this the old DirecTV pizza pan systems look positively elegant. And it's a very attractive shade of battleship gray. I also hadn't figured that there'd be 4 coax cables running from the system along the facia of the house. One for the two TV and two (transmit/receive for the internet. <br><br>Now if it only worked.<br>Apparently the folks at the POP ground station aren't up on doing installs on Sunday so after wiring everything up and setting up The Damn PC (as it is now known) there's no hookup with the POP. The software is all installed and the lights all show a physical connection. But no ping. <br><br>The installer comes back out this morning and tries a third time. I hope he hurries - I'm posting this over my old backup dialup account and I'd forgotten how slow 24000 really is. <br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Acumowchek