Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Application Switcher... #1033 06/02/01 04:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Mac OS' (classic) built-in keystroke application switcher is quite pathetic... I always "upgrade" to either GoMac/LiteSwitch or Program Switcher. But here's what I don't get... to my knowledge, the only way to turn *off* the built-in application switcher (which isn't always overridden by using a different one) is to go into the CD Extras folder of a Mac OS CD and run the HyperCard stack in the HyperCard Update folder.<br><br>Seems a little, er, inconvenient? Does anyone know a way to more easily disable the built-in switcher? There's gotta be some AppleScript somewhere...<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... #1034 06/02/01 06:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah i would have to say that MacOS Application Switcher is usless....<br><br>I love GoMac's built-in application switcher, having the ability to quit multiple apps. at once is vary nice and i also notice at GoMac is much faster...<br><br><br>I have toyed around with some AppleScripts on this topic once, but have never had any kind of luck, i though i saw somthing along this line once at a apple script site once but i can't remember which one:-( i will keep i eyes open....<br><br>Oni<br><br>this is my signature do you like it?

Re: Application Switcher... #1035 06/02/01 09:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Remove the AppSwitcher extension... is that what you're talking about?<br><br>Personally, I love it...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... #1036 06/02/01 10:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yep. Disable the Application Switcher Extension.<br><br>Vijay<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: Application Switcher... #1037 06/02/01 02:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought the App Switcher extension only allows you to tear off the Application menu (the Extensions Manager description for this says the same), not control the keyboard-app-switcher. I think I've tried that before, but I'll give it another whirl.<br><br>I just find it really odd that Apple controls the keyboard switcher with a HyperCard stack, rather than just making it an option in the keyboard control panel or something.<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... #1038 06/02/01 04:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah I have tried to remove the App Swithcer Extension before, it only controls the tear off part of the Application menu....<br><br>Oni<br><br><br><br>this is my signature do you like it?

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... #1039 06/02/01 05:10 PM
TreeBeard Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I may have missed it but I did not see all the great 3rd party ways of bypassing the App switcher mentioned above. I use and hack a great variety of applications for my own amusement just to see how big a smartass i am and to learn things from my mistakes so I use (trial a range of things).<br>Thus I have and use ActionGoMac, Extension Strip and DragThing as my main ways of switching apps I use X-Launch and have disabled Appple's Launcher.(note dragthing allows you to switch OS 8.5 command tabbing on and off). Lately I have also trialled TaskMenuBar I find the Extensions strip Process Manager csm much better to use than the Application Switcher. <br>As you may imagine... I NEVER use the application switcher..EXCEPT... and this is an IMPORTANT reason for NOT disabling it. That exception is in Extensions OFF mode.. where NONE of the other things work... only the Application Switcher does. This is a good reason I suppose for the hypercard questions posed here... but then I only suppose... I don't know. <br>The point is that everything has a distinct advantage and style which will appeal more to one use or other but when it boils down to nitty gritty... Apple has already allowed for that.<br><br>..

but where will we be when the future comes?
Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: TreeBeard] #1040 06/03/01 12:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hm, ok, well, if its in a HC stack then its executable code. It'd be an XCMD or XFCN. I love messing with HyperCard, so I'll grab that stack, mess with it, and see if I can make it into a little app of its own (the thing that turns this off).<br><br>Why? Why not...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... #1041 06/03/01 03:06 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
heh... why not? that's clever Cipher. (glad you're here now)<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: johnengler] #1042 06/04/01 03:57 AM
bdog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you turn off the "command-tab" feature via "a program that I can email you" it writes to the "System Preferences" file. Email me, and I will give you what you need!! If you trash your "System Preferences" and you HAD your command-tab off, then it will be back on (go ahead, try it!!)<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

--------------------------
John Bailey ([red]Bdog[/red])

Email Me! ---> Bdog111@mac.com
Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: bdog] #1043 06/04/01 08:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John - thanks, glad to be here :)<br><br>bdog - why not post it on iDisk? Or I could host it if you like.<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... #1044 06/04/01 11:57 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
heh... the resourcefulnes of hackers... <br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... #1045 06/05/01 01:07 AM
bdog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yea, with HS graduation right now, I am too busy to set up an iDisk. I will set one up here one of these days (weeks?)<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: bdog] #1046 06/05/01 02:58 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
so Bdog, is it your graduation ceremony, or are you one of the teachers, parents, etc...?<br><br>john<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: johnengler] #1047 06/05/01 03:08 AM
bdog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm a High School student graduating this Friday! Yea!!!! (13 years!!!!!!)<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: bdog] #1048 06/05/01 04:24 AM
yoyo52 Offline
Nothing comes of nothing.
Nothing comes of nothing.
Congratulations. Hope you have a great party <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

MACTECH ubi dolor ibi digitus
Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: yoyo52] #1049 06/05/01 12:51 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
ditto... congratulations Bdog, and best wishes... have a great week.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Application Switcher... #1050 06/18/01 03:07 AM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
anyone know why "application switcher" would crash on my machine consitently with "Type 2" errors?<br><br>damn apple software....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Application Switcher... [Re: johnengler] #1051 06/18/01 06:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yep, trash your App Switcher prefs, and if that doesn't help, kill your Finder and System prefs, and if thats no help, zap the PRAM. That'll fix it :)<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: bdog] #1052 06/19/01 05:29 AM
A
Alex Offline
stranger
stranger
A
Back to the topic at hand... just download Prestissimo and you will have full control over the Application Switcher. It's pretty sweeeeet!<br><br>

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... [Re: Alex] #1053 08/23/01 11:04 PM
S
squareman Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
S
Yup, I've used Prestissimo too. It also allows you to "hack" the scroll bars on you Mac pretty instantly too (I put double arrows at both ends of my scroll bars). <br><br>BTW, If I remember the readme correctly (been using it since 8.6 came out), it makes it's modifications through AppleScripting. So I'm not so sure the hacks require ResEdit, just a throrough knowledge of the AppleScript dicitonary terms.<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... #1054 08/25/01 02:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd have to say that I like/use the app switcher... it has lots of hidden features and those make it usable. <br><br>-- j o n k n e e --<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... #1055 08/25/01 03:05 PM
johnengler Offline
old hand
old hand
none of those solutions worked... App switcher still manages to die/go away on it's own after about 15 minutes of use, and then after reactivating it a few times it'll crash... wonder if it's the App/extension itself...<br><br>oh well.. PowerSwitcher workd well too.<br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Acumowchek