looks like it's dependant on the device driver. My linksys wireless card on my laptop can change the MAC address. Usually the MAC address is burned in at manufacture to ensure every ethernet device is unique. This is a convenience for ethernet low level protocols, not a security thing. The driver reads the number and outputs it, but if your driver supports it, you can change it to whatever you want.<br><br>Actually there really is no use I can think of, except for spoofing 'gimicky' security measures like your university or cable modem ISPs that want to limit the number of machines connecting to their modem.<br><br>The MAC address is a low level address used only on ethernet, so once it goes to frame relay, etc. (the stuff the connects up the internet) the MAC address is lost. So there is no way to get somebody's MAC address across the internet.<br><br>And getting a little router in your office all you have to do is register the router's MAC addy and you can connect any computer you want. So your university is just creating a make work project for themselves.<br><br><br>[color:blue]Quitters never win, winners<br> never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.</font color=blue>