The only reason I've walked into an Apple Store in the last several years is to see a new product, such as the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc., before purchasing it online. Even then, I was already at the mall in question otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way.

They're too crowded, the floor workers are about the most uninformed (and in some cases completely ignorant) about what you can do with their own products, and it takes too damn long to buy anything. They think they're being friendly and helpful by asking 173 questions about me, my work, and how I use the product I'm buying. I appreciate the effort, but I would rather get in and get out as quickly as possible. As it is I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to be free to help me.

This has been my experience in every Apple Store I've been in (all the Arizona stores, one in SF, and one in Portland). When they first opened, I loved them. But now that it's more or less just an iOS store, there's little reason for me to see if things have changed over the years.