Originally Posted By: six_of_one
The government is willing to subsidize some premiums but not others. If you don't qualify for subsidies / small business credits / any other offsets, you are going to be supporting more of the issuance pool out of your pocket than those who do qualify. It's pretty straight forward.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think self-employed people who make enough to disqualify for assistance are in that portion that will be funding the rest.

I have a different understanding of it (or maybe we really are saying the same thing grin) .

The ACA states that everyone needs to be covered or they pay the mandated fee.
The ACA will subsidize those who qualify when buying through the Exchanges.

The insurance corporations are regulated as what must be covered in order for them to be able to qualify to participate in the Exchange. Once in the Exchange, the competitive pricing is what's going to attract enrollment in to each insurer's plan. The large number of people buying through the Exchange is what allows for the insurers to be competetive. They still sell policies outside of the Exchange, but within the regulated system they sell way more and profit more.

None of those profits go to the Federal government, I've previously stated where I think the money is coming that allows this to be a net positive.

So my original point (many posts back) was that an unsubsidized policy you buy from the exchange is still a better deal that what you'll get outside the Exchange. I don't see this as a portion that is "funding the rest". That's all. Either way you and Jim are getting screwed because the insurance corporations aren't forced to help those in your income bracket with no dependents.