Originally Posted By: Celandine

ken anybody give more info on this, please?

I've removed a few FBI ransom ware over the last 3 years or so, all Windows, although they were all total infections not just JavaScript in web pages.

I have never seen a Mac ransomeware that infects and is a real virus, but here is a relative. The JavaScript variation in Mac is not invasive like the Windows virus version, which actually installs files, and requires a full virus scan to even be able to use the computer as it takes over the screen. A lot of times manual removal of files along with the automatic is needed.

The look of the "give us money window" on the Mac is the same, but all it does on a Mac is get Safari (Chrome too) stuck in a loop after clicking on a link with an embedded JavaScript. The only way out other than paying them is Force Quit Safari. The next time you open Safari it re-opens the closed windows from the last session though, and you're back in the dialog box loop again.

Short Story. Force Quit Safari, hold the Shift key down while reopening it to make it load only your home page and not the page with the bad JavaScript. That link explains what happens in more detail, but their recommendation of resetting all of Safari is overkill.

From what I understand in Windows the same JavaScript will run and gets browsers stuck like in Safari, and you have to do some kind trick like Safari, although the Windows JavaScript version doesn't take the whole computer over requiring disinfection like the virus version, I think. You can Force Quit the browser and still use the computer.

My guess is this has been around a while, and if not already a fix will be in from Apple in some security patch.