I got both the WDs working. Made sure both were in Master (one already was, one did have a jumper which I removed to set to Master). Then ran these commands in Terminal
to get the disk ID
sudo gpt recover /dev/disk(#)
where (#) was the disk ID
Both drives then mounted.
The old IBM is a different matter. I set jumpers to both "Master 16 heads" and "Master 15 heads" (don't ask me what this means) but none of my machines can even see it. BTW one of the machines is a non-intel G4 mini. Judging by the occasional click I hear, this old drive didn't like being removed and is kaput. I don't know what else to try—any suggestions are welcome. Naturally it is the one containing the last bit of unbacked-up work I did.
Got a new (used, new to me) MacPro box headed here Friday and the weekend to try to get things back up in something resembling how things ran on the G4. There is some legacy software that I am little concerned about, but will load Snow Leopard and with luck it should run under Rosetta.
Xplain's use of MacNews, AppleCentral and AppleExpo are not affiliated with Apple, Inc. MacTech is a registered trademark of Xplain Corporation. AppleCentral, MacNews, Xplain, "The journal of Apple technology", Apple Expo, Explain It, MacDev, MacDev-1, THINK Reference, NetProfessional, MacTech Central, MacTech Domains, MacForge, and the MacTutorMan are trademarks or service marks of Xplain Corp. Sprocket is a registered trademark of eSprocket Corp. Other trademarks and copyrights appearing in this printing or software remain the property of their respective holders.
All contents are Copyright 1984-2010 by Xplain Corporation. All rights reserved. Theme designed by Icreon.