Following up.

Haven't given up on this yet. Have read many discussions in Apple Support and boy do they have long complicated instructions that sometimes worked for people and then not for others.

This link Explains what I am most recently trying. This is my third try using these instructions. This time, I am waiting a long time [long enough for my iMac to back up Safari cleaned up bookmarks to iCloud, and then I will turn on iCloud Safari on the iPhone and iPad.

Ho hum. Like I have nothing else to do anyway. Ha. Was going to call AppleCare support but still want to see if I can get it worked out on my own. I also wrote a post on the Apple Support forum and got response I got so far.

Winston Churchill Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
HT4910 Re: Safair Bookmark sync using iCloud, iMac
Oct 16, 2013 2:33 PM (in response to Starmillway)

Turning on syncing Safari means syncing your Bookmarks, in addition to tabs and reading lists, the message is only checking that this is what you want to do, if you don't want to sync your bookmarks, you shouldn't enable Safari Syncing.

If you have any suggestions that you think might enhance iCloud, such as options for separate Safari sync features, you can send Apple your feedback here.