Originally Posted By: lanovami
I read sometime back that the conventional wisdom was that even hotly contested laws that have been put on the books tend to stay there after a while because lawmakers just get used to having to accept them. Not so with Obamacare it seems.

That's because more often than not, once legislation is passed and signed by the President it becomes law immediately. In the case of the ACA, it's taking 4-5 years to completely roll-out, so lots more opportunities to try to kill it before it takes effect. Remember, this isn't supposed to be fully implemented until next year, and the employer mandate part has been pushed-back a year further. So a ways to go yet ...

Plus, since it's really a series of initiatives, once they're all in place, if someone wanted to outright kill "Obamacare," they'd have to defund/repeal each one separately, which I gather is harder than killing them at the outset ...

On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me that the Republican solution to legislation they supposedly think will damage the country is to threaten to damage the country unless it's repealed. After the past four years of Tea-Party-inspired obstruction/extortion, I think next year's congressional elections will be pretty much a touchstone as to wether this country actually wants a functioning government or simply an ideological protection racket ...