Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
I watched M*A*S*H as a little kid in England, in the 70's - and when Henry Blake got killed, I was inconsolable.

"Abyssinia, Henry". Quite the episode when it came out. The cast didn't know Henry was going to die until they filmed it. A completely different ending was written. Standing on the chopper pad, as Henry gets ready to leave, the script is written as such:

====

Ambulances start down the hill. The chopper pad is vacated of patients, etc., in a matter of seconds. The engine on the chopper is running. Trapper and Hawkeye give Henry last minute pats on the back then run down the hill after the ambulances. Radar and Henry are the last two on the pad. Radar hands Henry his bag, then comes to attention, saluting. Henry looks at him for a minute, then hugs Radar.

HENRY
You behave yourself or I'll come back and kick your butt.

RADAR
Yes, sir.

Henry starts for the chopper.

RADAR (up)
Say hello to Mrs. Blake!

Henry's aboard. The chopper takes off. CAMERA STAYS on it as it flies off into the distance, and the gang watches it go.

FADE OUT
END OF ACT TWO

TAG
VARIOUS SHOTS OF HENRY BLAKE FROM PREVIOUS SHOWS THROUGHOUT THE SERIES.

THE END

====

Now that's how the scripts were handed out. But they told the cast there was an additional scene written at the end of act two. Wayne Rogers and Alan Alda were given their lines and Burghoff was given his line just before filming started. Here's the additional page:

====

Henry starts for the chopper.

RADAR (up)
Say hello to Mrs. Blake!

Henry's aboard. The chopper takes off. CAMERA STAYS on it as it flies off into the distance, and the gang watches it go.

CUT TO:

INT. O.R. - NIGHT
Hawkeye and Trapper at one table, Hot Lips and Frank at another. Klinger is working, Mulcahy helps. After a beat Radar ENTERS, looking stunned, holding a slip of paper.

TRAPPER
Put a mask on, Radar.

HAWKEYE
If that's my discharge, give it to me straight, I can take it.

RADAR
I just got a message.
(beat)
The Colonel's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. Spun in. No survivors.

No one can speak. The work goes on.

FADE OUT
END OF ACT TWO

====