Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
To say that LS's main purpose is to aid software pirates is kind of silly.
The ones that really know what it does and are buying it for a specific purpose are those blocking the mothership. The majority buying it though don't really understand what it does, I'll guarantee it. You even said most of it is overkill for your needs, as it is for most people, on top of the fact that most are buying it thinking it protects them. My guess is a lot of those buying LittleSnitch thinking it's keeping them safe also buy MacKeeper due to MacKeeper's marketing aimed at the uninformed, it's a really invasive POS. I've removed MK from many a machine that was slowed down by its "benefits."

From LittleSnitch's main page, feed the fear of the uninformed;
As soon as youíre connected to the Internet, applications can potentially send whatever information they want to wherever they want.

Sometimes they do this for good reason, on your explicit request. But often they donít. Little Snitch allows you to intercept these unwanted connection attempts, and lets you decide how to proceed.

What harm is the marketing that apps use, or websites use to offer us free content? Other than just blocking marketing data collection, what are the real "security" benefits? They never really explain it on their website outside of one being able to "take control" of their connection.

Quote:
LS does so much more, for those who want (for whatever reason) that much control.
Again, most people have no idea, they have succumbed to the placebo that it is making their browsing a "safe" excursion even though they really don't know what it does or how to use it. Also in these days of high-speed connections are blocking these little msec bursts speeding anything up?

Anyway, that's all for me on this. Go here and explain in detail what practical security benefits there really are in any of this outside of being able to supposedly "take control" of your connection, I'd be glad to listen. Maybe I missed something.

If you're worried about external access to your open ports turn on the Mac firewall for when you're away from home. Most people are behind a router of some kind at home anyway which is a hardware firewall. Using a 12 digit or better password with Caps, numbers, and special characters is the best security. A passphrase is even better and easy to remember.

And it's free.