Originally Posted By: yoyo52
To avoid all confusion, you ought to provide the proper ( smile ) subordinating conjunction to the understood main clause. The "Yeah" really means "Yes, optical drives on computers are always one of the first components to fail." The clause that follows is composed of two subordinate clauses, but the first subordinating conjunction is left out (it's understood). The second subordinating conjunction is "unless." So to avoid confusion the sentence ought to read as follows:

"Yeah, because, unless you go with the tower, they're POS laptop drives."

And to be fully expressive (I love this stuff!), it would look like this:

"Yes, optical drives on computers are always one of the first components to fail because, unless you go with the tower, they're POS laptop drives."

Ya had to start this stuff up!

That notwithstanding, the original objection was that Jim failed to include a comma at one point in the statement that was actually made (as opposed to the optimal verbiage you propose). I still maintain the addition of that comma would have made no difference in terms of comprehension ...

In regards:

"Yeah, because, unless you go with the tower, they're POS laptop drives."

I'd maintain that "because" and the comma afterwards is superfluous -- the main point being "Unless you go with the tower(,) they're POS laptop drives," which says the same thing while being more economical. Which brings us back to the original sentence.

And I agree your ultimate solution is more expressive. But in the practical sense of a conversation, restating what has already been said isn't necessarily beneficial* ...

*Unless you're having a KM-like conversation, in which case you'd need to recapitulate entire pages ;-)