Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Originally Posted By: Llewelyn
If a good guy is there to prevent a mass shooting, then there's no "news". If a good guy is there to stop a mass shooting then there are already a number of wounded/dead before the stoppage happens - but these incidents tend to make at least local news. But while there are 300 million guns in the USA, there is no guarantee that there is 1 within 100yds of any crime involving a firearm, in the possession of a good guy who is prepared to intervene.

So... by this reasoning... we should arm more people with guns? What's left.. our children?
Oh.. I see... we should all carry them with us and not leave them at home. If the guys running the car wash would have had some guns strapped then this would have turned out ok.
===
Actually.. your statement above completely renders the "good guy" argument as baloney.
"But while there are 300 million guns in the USA, there is no guarantee that there is 1 within 100yds of any crime involving a firearm, in the possession of a good guy who is prepared to intervene."

Kind of my point, a bad guy shooter makes headline news because he successfully killed/injured at least one person. If he's apprehended by a cop, or is confronted by a good guy, then he doesn't get to shoot his target and it's local news at best. Once a bad guy shooter gets started, there is a victim count which rises until an intervention occurs and/or the shooter takes the easy way out. It's not so much a question of where the good guy was when the shooting started, but how quickly they reacted and how many more they prevented from being victims.
I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.