The difference would be how many people you can potentially kill in a given length of time. Automatics run at 500+ rounds per minute, semi-autos closer to 100, and manual fire about 20-40. Then you have to consider magazine size, a well practiced person can change a magazine in a couple of seconds, where weapons without removable magazine can take 10 seconds (depending upon how many cartridges it holds) and single shot muzzle loaders 20-30 seconds.

Reducing the number of rounds a person can fire in a minute, while increasing the time it takes to reload reduces the effectiveness of a mass shooter (so in theory more people will survive) and give the chance for a hero to attack the shooter while he's having to reload. This of course assumes the shooter is not carrying multiple weapons, or has weapons that he's not legally allowed to own.

Edited by Llewelyn (02/05/13 03:40 AM)
I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.